Monday, May 4, 2015

outfit of the day(bird): the tooth fairy

 
 
 
skirt, tee ~ b. (a resale shop)
shoes, necklace ~ Target
 
Eva lost a tooth last week. As sometimes happens, it cracked in half after she lost it, and she sort of flipped out. She was scared that the tooth fairy wouldn't come because she had a "faulty" tooth. She then started in on how some of her friends had told her that they tooth fairy was really your parents. Basically, it was a sink or swim moment for us; we could not forget to give her money for her tooth.
 
However, it was a long day. Chris and I were both exhausted. We put the kids to bed, and both worked for a couple of hours before it was time for us to head to bed ourselves. We zonked out, never once thinking about the faulty tooth.
 
Luckily for me, I am a horrible sleeper. I woke up with a start at 3:00 AM realizing the error of our ways. I also woke up knowing that I didn't have a dollar in my purse. (Yes, we only give us a dollar.) I have a large bottle full of change on my dresser, so I figured I could dump it out and grab four quarters from it in the dark. No problem, right? Well, ok, a few problems. Problem #1: pouring change from a glass bottle is loud. Really loud. I fixed the problem by wrapping the bottle in a towel before I poured. Problem, #2, which could have turned out to be the biggest problem of them all: I grabbed what I thought were four quarters, but as I was about to put them under her pillow, I realized one coin was bigger than the others. Which leads to problem #3: see problem #1 about money being loud. Yes, I had to pour one more time to get a real quarter.

As it turns out, I almost gave Eva $.75 and a Chuck E. Cheese token. Which I guess could have been seen as a good thing by Eva, albeit a little suspicious. But this way, we don't have to take her to Chuck E. Cheese, which is worth the sleepless night for sure.
 
And Eva still believes. Phew.
xo,
megan bird
 
 

19 comments:

  1. ha! love it. and love the bow on your skirt. cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tooth fairy always left a little 'envelope' with a clue under the pillow. When the envelope was opened, the clue (or a drawing, before Jenn could read) was written on the paper the envelope was made from.
    I made a HUGE mistake once and left a little fairy doll sitting on top of the dollar - the kidling started crying hysterically; she thought the tooth fairy had died, delivering her money!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crisis averted! LOL

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think a dollar is perfect! This outfit is a great example of how a statement necklace can really make an outfit pop!! Love it! -♥- Rachel (For the Birds)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness - we've had so many tooth fairy mess ups around here! Thank goodness you woke up in the middle of the night and remembered!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! I'm sure you thought this was a crisis at the time (we all do) but it's such a funny story. The kind of anecdote you'll tell during a toast at Eva's wedding-rehearsal dinner. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaha omg that is too funny! Glad you got it figured out :) And this outfit is so chic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh that is too funny - I love stories like this though, even though it was kind of a crazy middle of the night moment! And I love that a dollar is acceptable, that's what I hope to do! LOVE this outfit, the skirt is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you got everything to work out. Also I think a dollar is the prefect price for a tooth.

    http://www.amysfashionblog.com/blog-home

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done, the outfit and the parenting! Love this true to life tale!
    Fab skirt and rockin lep platforms. I love that Eva still believes!
    A token and 75cents, you may be on to something!
    xx, Elle
    http://mydailycostume.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. that darn tooth fairy, i tell ya! she slacked off a couple times in our house and got me in a lot of trouble! when my daughter was little and lost a tooth, she asked me if she should brush/clean it. i said, no need. well, tooth fairy didn't come that night! she was so angry at me, blaming the fact that the she should have washed it because that's why the tooth fairy didn't take the tooth. oops. love the shoes!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh good thing you woke up. I have done this before--fell asleep while on TF duty--and the guilt is gut wrenching. So I applaud you and your $.75 and Chuck E. Cheese token. Good job mama!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would totally do something like that and we have forgotten a few times. I still have a bunch of their baby teeth in my underwear drawer LOL! I'm suspicious that Laila knows the truth (she's 8), but is going with the ruse to get the money. Same with Santa and the Easter Bunny. I dread the day when she tells us she really knows because then that means she isn't a little kid any more :-(

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am laughing so hard about the chuck e cheese token that my husband just asked what was wrong with me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this story so much. Mainly because I can completely picture myself in the same scenario. :) Oh, & I LOVE that necklace & those heels!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice save mom, nice save! Ah the tooth fairy! Glad to know that the tooth fairy still gives $1 and nothing else...I feel like I've seen some pretty elaborate tooth fairy schemes and I do not want to be a part of all that. Too complicated!
    Love this cute look!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I feel like tooth fairy debacles are common for parents, but I'm glad you had the crisis diverted and a funny story to share too! (And that you luckily avoided Chuck E Cheese)

    ReplyDelete
  18. that necklace is gorgeous, and this story is so precious - no tooth fairy for a faulty tooth? so sweet. and i think the chucky cheese coin woulda made for a pretty awesome story :)) maybe next tooth (you could brave chucky cheese for it... right? i mean, idk - maybe i'll end up avoiding that place too.. haven't been since i was 10?? i remember loving the rootbear and the dancing bears:) )

    ReplyDelete
  19. Having to put in coins instead of paper bills can be a bit of a problem. Not only could it be too noisy while you’re taking them out, it could also make noise while you put them under the pillow. Despite almost forgetting about the tooth, it’s nice to know that you still had time to do the tooth fairy gig a few hours before Eva got up. Anyway, that’s a lovely outfit you got there. You look so dashing! Thanks for sharing this with us!


    Richard Travers @ Travers Dental Clinic

    ReplyDelete