Tuesday, May 19, 2015

bird.i.y.: polymer clay necklace


This isn't really a DIY, and when I say that, I mean two things by it. 1. it's so easy even a caveman can do it, and 2. cavemen must have more patience than me when it comes to making jewelry.
 
So really, this isn't a DIY because it's more of a DIYTAYHTHBHHMP (do it yourself then ask your husband to help because he has more patience).
 
The end result was good, though, so I thought I'd share.
 
What you'll need:
~ polymer clay
~ spray paint
~ chain
knife
~ jump rings
~ ring clasp
~ pliers
~ a McGyver-like husband (not pictured)
 
 
I first rolled out the clay to be about 1/8" thick and cut it in a half circle shape. Really you can use any shape you want, I just happened to like this. Oh, and I happened to have an old padlock that was the perfect shape to trace. Yes, I am very professional like that, using a padlock as my form.
 
 
Keeping along the lines of professionalism, I used a kitchen knife to cut the clay, and a cuticle stick to poke holes in it (this is where the jump rings will go). Who needs Martha Stewart's crafting tools when you have a padlock, a dicing knife, and a cuticle stick? Not this girl.
 
 
Bake the clay per the package instructions. I think I went a little longer than it said, but that's because I forgot it was in the oven. Luckily our oven sucks, so it didn't burn.
 
Then tape off a section of the clay that you want to keep white. Spray paint the rest back and front. Let it dry.
 
Next, realize that the chain you bought is WAY too small to fit the jump rings you bought. At this point, run around the house looking for an old necklace that may have smaller jump rings. When you can't find one, yell for your husband to help.
 
 
And because your husband is so nice and so resourceful, he will finish the necklace for you while you change into a  shirt that isn't an old baggy sweatshirt so you can take pictures of your new necklace.
 
 
Unfortunately, I didn't take the time to make sure I had a bra on that you couldn't see through the shirt. But let's be honest, I was taking this picture at 9:00 PM, you guys are lucky I'm even wearing a bra at all.
 
And that, my friends, is how you make a polymer necklace. Questions?
 
xo,
megan bird
 
 

14 comments:

  1. Hmmm, something like that with a funky little delft medallion I have glued on the front....

    You have inspired me! (Even though I could see the outline of your bra, lol.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make me laugh. Out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your necklace. I have no patience when it comes to making jewelry either. I have tried several times in the past and abandoned the project half way through. Maybe I need to give it another try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. '~ a McGyver-like husband (not pictured)' *chuckle*
    I love this, it looks so good, although I don't think Andy would have the patience for this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this because that is how I DIY - it always turns into the DIYTAYHTHBHHMP (yes I did copy and paste this, lol) because I have good intentions then get frustrated and beg Nate to help me! At any rate, I love how your necklace turned out! Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha ha! This turned out cute.

    All my bras look like this. Maybe I need new ones? Nah. The only thing worse than shopping for bras is shopping for a bathing suit.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! It's so cute and the perfect length, I think. And meh, bras, we've all seen one.

    -Chelsea
    chelsandthecity.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adorable necklace. You guys always come up with great DIY projects.

    http://www.amysfashionblog.com/blog-home

    ReplyDelete
  9. This post just makes me laugh. AND I love the necklace.

    www.olivedoesthecity.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well I love how the necklace turned out! And I love that acronym even more, I really hope it catches on ;) Also, what you said about the bra at the end cracked me up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always use whatever "tools" I have when crafting. There ain't nothin' wrong with that. You really did a great job on the necklace!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Megan,
    and that solves the burning question of how to make a polymer necklace!
    Now that i see it I do want one, but do not want to make one... how pitiful am I..
    It does look easy, and I have a cuticle stick as luck will have it!
    Love the necklace and I do admire that you re wearing a bra at 9 AM...
    It really is a great necklace!
    xx, Elle
    http://mydailycostume.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh i love that! i just may try that one but in other shapes and sizes and such. wow, thx buds! ♥ renae

    {loved the caveman joke part, lol}

    ReplyDelete
  14. DIYTAYHTHBHHMP = the story of my life. I laughed. Out loud. Repeatedly. While reading this. ❤️

    ReplyDelete