Friday, May 22, 2015

bird seed: peach-grapefruit sangria


Jim has been out of town for 8 days. He left for a bachelor party in New Orleans last Thursday, made a brief appearance back home on Sunday only to leave again for business in Minneapolis on Monday.  I am very very excited for him to get home today. To celebrate his return, I decided to make a big batch of peach-grapefruit sangria for us to share tonight. Well, we will see if he gets any! I kid, I kid. I will let him have a small glass.

This sangria would be great if you're having a Memorial Day bbq this weekend. Or just need something to drink on your patio on a sunny day. Or a drink to enjoy while cuddled up watching movies on a rainy day. Okay, okay, this sangria is yummy enough for any occasion! 


Ingredients:
1 bottle of dry white wine (I used Sauvignon Blanc)
1 cup orange liqueur
the juice of one lemon
2 peaches, cubed
1 large grapefruit, cut into small wedges
1/4 cup simple syrup (to make, cook 1/4 cup sugar in 1/4 cup water in a saucepan until the sugar is fully dissolved. let cool completely before using.)
about 15 blueberries, for color

Instructions:
Simply mix all of the ingredients in a large pitcher and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. I like to let mine refrigerate overnight to get the best flavors!


To serve, fill a wine glass about 3/4 full with the sangria (make sure to get lots of fruit!) and top with a bit of soda water. Now go enjoy yourself!


I recently discovered that we have a Saturn peach tree in our yard (yay!), so I am sure to be making batches of this sangria all summer long! And please send any of your favorite peach recipes my way!

I hope you all have a great weekend!

xoxo, nora bird

13 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing i want to try to make it

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds amazing - and just in time for the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yumm! I'll be over this afternoon to taste some. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM! Want! And you have a peach tree too? What is your peach tree's name? I want your yard!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hehe I don't blame you at all for not sharing :) This sounds SO yummy and refreshing! I'd sub out an orange for the grapefruit...for some reason I can't stand grapefruit, even though I know they're supposed to be so good and good for you! Too acidic maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lovely to have a peach tree! If you have a lot of peaches I can recommend this salad - http://hazelsworldofjoy.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/a-food-post.html

    Not as exciting as sangria but very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds so good.

    http://www.amysfashionblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Homemade sangria with fresh peaches... YUM!
    I agree this is a perfect summer drink, and very festive!
    A great "welcome Home" !
    xx, Elle
    http://mydailycostume.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks amazing! I love sangria, my favorite summer drink!

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a fun date idea - our patio furniture just went out and so i'll definitely be whipping this up - expect some copy-cat pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. YUMMMM! This looks perfect for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is my drink of summer. i see a batch this weekend in my future

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love sangrias and I haven't seen a peach one so I'm excited to try this out!

    ReplyDelete