Wednesday, May 27, 2015

bird seed: no-bake breakfast bars


My kids love granola bars and would eat them all day if I let them. But I do not because, oftentimes, store-bought granola bars are just glorified candy bars. They are full of sugar and other ingredients that I don't want my kids eating on a regular basis. And the bars that actually are healthy usually cost an arm and a leg. So, I decided to start making my own granola-type bars. This way, I know exactly what is going in them and can feel good about my kids eating them. Plus, I might save a few dollars, which is never a bad thing, amiright?

These breakfast bars are no-bake, gluten free (check your oats to make sure they are labeled as gluten free if you have a gluten intolerance), and can be made vegan if you sub the honey for maple syrup. And you only need 10 ingredients!


Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
3/4 cups whole, raw almonds
1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
1/2 cup pistachios
1/3 cup ground flaxseed
2/3 cups raw pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/3 cup raw honey
1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1 cup nut butter (I used peanut butter)


Instructions:
1. Line an 8"x8" baking pan with parchment paper. 
2. Combine the first 8 ingredients in a bowl and mix until combined.
3. Add the honey and apple sauce to the bowl and mix until combined.
4. Add the peanut butter and mix until everything is fully combined.
5. Place the batter in the prepared pan and press down firmly until the mixture is distributed evenly.
6. Place pan in the freezer to set for at least one hour.
7. Once the bars are set, remove pan from freezer and lift the entire block from the pan using the parchment paper. Peel the paper away and slice into bars. My pan made 12 bars.
9. Enjoy!

I keep my bars in a sealed container in the freezer to ensure freshness. Jim and the kids love these breakfast bars and I love that they are healthy and easy to make!


Have you ever made your own granola bars?
xoxo, nora bird

11 comments:

  1. I've never made my own granola bars, and Jenn (the kidling) has been looking for a recipe - I'll send her here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never made my own granola bars. Maybe one day

    http://www.amysfashionblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yum! Homemade granolas are on my to do wish list. I may actually try this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to try making homemade granola bars sometime! I have a friend who makes granola, I would think it wouldn't be much harder than that! These sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love granola bars but now that I'm really watching what I eat I have noticed even the healthiest store bought ones are high in sugar and other no nos. I definitely need to try these especially because they seem easy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so saving this on my Pinterest board. Want to make these asap : )

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. oooh, yum! we love granola bars here. my mom makes a good energy bar, but i'd love to try this! thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look SO good! I used to buy granola bars for myself, but stopped when I looked at the label and saw all the crap that's in (most of) them. I started buying Kind bars, but they can be expensive... so I need to try making some instead. Pinning this one for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi Nora!
    Ya ...i'm back. yay.
    Hey did you get a new camera when you moved? Your food shots are soooooo artistic now days. Loving this recipe, too, my girlfriend in California! lol
    ♥ renae

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh and I would be using almond butter, cuz peanuts don't like me most of the time. lol

      Delete
  10. these really seem easy to make--and that's a big plus for me!

    ReplyDelete