Friday, April 10, 2015

mama bird: yes day


Last Thursday, I woke up and decided randomly to have a 'yes' day with my kids. With the move and the unpacking and the setting up the house and all of the other stuff that comes along with that, I felt like I had been saying 'no' to my kids way too much lately. No, I can't play right now. I'm busy. No, we can't go get ice cream. I've got to unpack these boxes. No, you can't paint. It'll make too big of a mess and I am trying to clean. And so on, and so forth. I felt like I was being such a boring mom. So I woke up that day and said, "Today I am saying yes!" I told the kids I would say yes to whatever they wanted, within reason, for the whole day. Now, my kids are still very young and they didn't quite understand to the full extent what this meant. They didn't take full advantage of the situation, in my opinion. I am sure when we do this again (and we will do this again!) when they are older, it will be a bit different. That said, we had a whole lot of fun that day. We went to a couple parks, we had french fries and milk shakes for lunch, we painted, we picked wild flowers, we danced, we read lots of books, we had ice cream (okay, it was frozen yogurt, but they couldn't tell the difference!) after dinner. I didn't say no to one request and it was really great for all of us. I felt so light and happy at the end of the day and I could tell my kids had benefited, as well. The energy around the house felt cheerful and light. I will remember that feeling the next time I am about to say no to something for no good reason. Most of the time, saying yes is way more fun, gets many more laughs, a lot more kisses and hugs, and everyone is a whole lot happier. And happy is good.

 (I did take away those weird little gummy hamburgers and hide them in my purse before the kids saw them. I wasn't sure I wanted to say yes to those. Also, they are still in my purse.)



xoxo, nora bird

15 comments:

  1. Love the photos and those happy, smiling faces. Good call Mama Bird!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the best mommy! So cute! My kids love those crappy gummy things. Yuck. You are wise to hide them as long as you can! :-) xo Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun idea! I need to get my husband to do this ; P

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love everything about this! I want to do a yes day with Ollie when he gets older. And too funny that you still have those gummy treats in your purse!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was so intrigued by your instagram posts on this, and I am so glad that you did a post! What an awesome day. I really should do this with Kyle! I bet I would end up golfing or something, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love, love, love this idea. Going to keep this in mind for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this is such a wonderful idea! I am going to definitely try it with my kids but because my kids ARE older, I am sure that there are some things that they will try to get away with that your kids wouldn't think of. LOL What a great mom you are!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh Nora, you are such a fun 'hands-on' mom! I love it! Oh and those grilled cheese sandwiches are so yummy looking. You have IN N OUT in California!! !! !! Do you know IN N OUT? You have got to go there. Perhaps you'd order similar to me. I get the "Veggie Burger - animal style - light spread and light grilled onions" They grill the bun and then load on 2 tomato slices, hand washed iceberg lettuce leaves, pickles, mustard, and their spread (sort of like 1000 island dressing) and their grilled onions. I get them light because if I don't it gets entirely too slippery half way through. You can get cheese on it. Most of the time I don't get the cheese. It is soooooooooooo incredible wonderful and vegetarian at a hamburger joint. We also get fries with no salt. Their fries out beat McDonalds fries any day!!! !!! !!!
    Oh and it is soooooooo incredibly cheap. My husb gets a cheeseburger, I get the "veggie burger" {as I described} and we share the fries and it comes to $6.03 every-time. Happy California to you, my friend!!
    ♥renae
    renaesrepertoire.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. my mom used to do 'yes' days when we were kids, and i remember it being the same way. what did we want? to swim & get ice cream. after a few goes, my sister and i asked for new dolls. i think it stopped a while after that? hehe :) i still remember how happy those days were though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea! And your kids are at the right age where their requests are fun and not excessive. ("Mom, let's go to Europe!")

    ReplyDelete
  11. Saying yes is a great idea, wouldn't it be nice if we could do that now often?
    Great post. Good luck with moving. Loved seeing these photos!
    x,x, Elle
    http://mydailycostume.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh, my kids would take FULL advantage of that! i would be afraid to make that kind of proposal, although i feel they could use a yes day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh, my kids would take FULL advantage of that! i would be afraid to make that kind of proposal, although i feel they could use a yes day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mine are 7 and 9 and I know they'd take advantage of it lol. Maybe if I lay down some ground work first....
    -Ash
    www.stylizedwannabe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this. I'm doing this soon & am counting on them not fully taking advantage. Ha! What a fun day!

    ReplyDelete