Wednesday, April 15, 2015

bird's nest: my new kitchen and dining room

I am excited to share bits of our new home with you guys. I really love it and it's been super fun setting everything up and decorating. I thought I would start with my kitchen/dining room. It is by far my favorite room in the house and we definitely spend the most time in here. It's also the only room that is pretty much completely set up. Everything else is still a work in progress. And while I am sure we will make a few changes here and there in this space, I really love how it's coming together. I hope you like it, too! And now, prepare for photos. Lots of photos. Probably way too many.





Our dishwasher is quite possibly the first one ever invented. It seriously sounds like a jet engine when it is running. I am not exaggerating. Also, probably not great for that huge water problem we have going on in California. It will be replaced very very soon.

Ugly but extremely necessary appliances. Someday I will have a pretty coffee maker but, for now, this one does the job. Also, I forgot to clean up my coffee mug before taking photos. Oops!


My cousin, Annie, who lives just north of us, made the kids that 'Welcome to California' block and I love it. So sweet.

I do not make my kids color coordinate their magnets. That is all their crazy mama.



It seemed slightly weird at first to have a couch in our dining area, but we love it so much. You can find Jim and the kids or any guests here while I am cooking dinner. And after a particularly heavy meal, it's nice to have a close place to lay down.

A small sampling of the magnet collection that Jim and I have had forever.



Roses from our garden!

Jim HATES this chair here. He says it messes with the flow of the room and that is apparently bad Feng shui. But I love the chair and there is not another spot for it in the house. Sorry Feng shui! I am sure it will be removed at some point, after great debate.

Gotta represent my hometown!

I hope you liked the tour. You are all invited over for dinner and drinks whenever you are nearby!

xoxo, nora bird

26 comments:

  1. Ahhhhhh! So cute! I want to live there! Love that it feels so personal & inviting... you've done a fab job setting it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so when can i move in? i LOVE how it all flows together, like you've always lived there

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great, light, space! It's already 'you', love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this - it looks so roomy! I'd colour coordinate my magnets too. Totally.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this space! And the fact that you can look outside.

    That circular rag rug is stunning.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! I especially love your reasons for why having a couch in the dining room is a good thing--a place to lay down after a heavy meal, ha! Also, if your coffee maker works, who cares. It's an end to a means. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your new home, thanks for sharing. And a couch in the kitchen is so european chic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is so cute - I love how bright, open and airy feeling it is - very California with a dash of Minneapolis and I think it fits you! I want a couch in my kitchen too, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how homey your house looks. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your kitchen is set up and designed exactly how I pictured a California kitchen to be? Your chairs are my absolute favorite thing! They are incredibly cool.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, very cool space! Mid century modern...so Californian! I love it! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved the tour, thanks for sharing it with us! It's such a light and bright space, and I love how you've made it your own. Your magnets crack me up too. And the color coding :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is SUPER cute I LOVE your space!

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh my goodness! I would absolutely feel so "at home" in your home. So much!! !! !! I completely love it. I need that stacked basket with the veggies on top and the fruits on the bottom. Where'd ya get that? Say Target, Kohls, or Hobby Lobby so I can run and get one. Or perhaps Ikea, even? Very lovely room and I soooooooo dig the sofa in there. Where else would it be? It is perfect there. However, I am on the side of Jim as far as where that chair goes. How about a cool step stool or step ladder there instead? ya? ya? yes.
    ♥renae
    renaesrepertoire.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay for the home tour! Never enough pictures. :) I love how you've decorated and THAT LIGHT. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful! Thanks for opening your door to us. I love the kitchen chairs.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your new home is so lovely, Nora! I adore the little sitting area outdoors--and oh my--roses! I'm excited that the tulips opened up today in my garden! Hugs, T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. So CA so cool so you!!! I love it! Xo Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your house looks AMAZING!!! I think it took us about four months to get things unpacked. LOL And here's the thing about coffee pots--I had one that I bought when I first moved out on my own at 19. It was cheap and had no bells and whistles. Everyone made fun of me for it. So when Patrick and I got married, we used some of the money to get a grown up coffee pot and I got rid of my old one. It broke within four months and we have gone through about four since then. So I say--keep it if it works!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this room so much and would like to be there now! many many awesome touches, the cookbook display is a new fave 😊

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nora, what a wonderful place where spend time with family and friends. We as well spend most of the time in kitchen/dinning room and we as well have sofa there. You have created stylish and welcoming place. I love all attention to details.
    xoxo
    Ramona

    http://www.ramona-strikeapose.blogspot.ie/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love your new house, it's so cute and mid century. That wood paneling is to die for as well as the ceilings and what looks like a great outdoor space that you can use year round (craziness). Where did you get those cool bar stools?

    ReplyDelete
  23. I LOVE it. It's so chic and retro and yet today all at the same time. So glad you found a place you're excited about!

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's so bright and airy and pretty!!! Good luck on this awesome new adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love that knife block! I need to recreate it for my house!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Nora,
    I love these photos. you have done wonders with the space. i love the clean and happy feel of the kitchen with the open white spaces and pretty rug. Love the sofa and pillows, love the textured chairs. but my fav is the color coordinated magnets on the fridge. your rock!
    xx, Elle
    http://mydailycostume.com

    ReplyDelete