Wednesday, March 18, 2015

bird.i.y.flashback: May 14, 2014 (ombre yarn wall hanging)

For a DIY flashback, I thought I'd choose a DIY that I actually kept. Yes, I admit, I don't keep them all. But this one, I love, and it still is in the same place I originally hung it...which for me is a big deal. Nothing stays in the same place at my house for long.
 
So, I hope you enjoy the flashback...
 
I have forever loved macrame wall hangings and have forever (or for the last few months) wanted to make one of my own. Since I have no knowledge of how to macrame, and have about enough patience for crafts as Solange has for Jay-Z, I decided to make an easier version of a yarn wall hanging. And honestly, I love how mine turned out so much, I'm almost happy I don't know how to macrame.
Here's what you'll need.
yarn in similar colors, dark to light
a stick
scissors
Yep, that's all you need. Super easy!
To start, trim the stick to the length you need. I knew where I wanted to hang my art, so I measured, made a slight cut in the stick with the scissors and snapped the branch off where needed. I trimmed any loose edges to make it look neat.
Then cut the yarn. I measured the way my mom used to measure yards of fabric, with the length of my arm from finger tip to my chin (that equaling about a yard, according to my mom) (I have never actually measured) (because I believe my mom). By these measurements, I cut about 20-25 two-yard lengths of each color yarn.
Start with the darkest color yarn. Fold each piece of yarn in half, loop the folded yarn around the stick and pull the loose ends through the loop and tighten. I don't know quite how to put that part into clear words, so see the picture below.
Ignore my dry, dry hands.
Continue to do this in the same color with the 20-25 pieces of cut yarn and then move on to the next darkest color.
Once you have finished all the colors, trim the ends in any shape you'd like. Then simply hang on the wall and enjoy!
Take a super close up picture...
Back up a bit...
Then take one more step back.

And scene.
xo,
megan bird

14 comments:

  1. I've had this saved since you originally posted it; thinking of doing it in shades of grey. (But not 50!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. still love this! i remember when you shared it originally. love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of my favorites you've done, so I'm glad it's one you've kept! It's one I keep thinking of trying myself sometime if I ever finally get crafty one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking so amazing and creative!
    Have a nice day!
    Angela Donava
    http://www.lookbooks.fr/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this. Nothing every stays in the same place at my home either. I'm constantly moving things, turning them upsidown, buying new throw pillows..... drives my mother nuts :) She does not want to know how much I've spent on throw pillows :)

    www.olivedoesthecity.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so cute and I love all those windows in the space!

    ReplyDelete

  7. This is super cute! I've been trying to think of something fun to hang on the younger girls' bedroom walls, I think this is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember this. It is a classic for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I love this! I don't remember if I pinned it before, but I'm definitely pinning it now! (Now, I just need to actually MAKE it.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember this one - I'm not surprised you kept it! It turned out great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's so pretty. I love colors and how simple yet stunning this diy is.
    xoxo
    Ramona

    http://www.ramona-strikeapose.blogspot.ie/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, it's lovely, Megan. And, it fits in so well with the fab decor in the featured room. T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete