Wednesday, March 4, 2015

bird.i.y.: playing card necklace organization

My daughter is a bit of a jewelry collector (I don't know where she gets that from). Every time I walk into her room, I cringe a little at her necklaces. She never even wears any of them because as you can see below, they are all tangled up. So I decided to do something about it. I scoured the house for items I could use (because I waited to long to think of a DIY for the blog and ran out of time to buy anything), and found these old playing cards. I originally bought them with thoughts of somehow using them for the wedding, but never did. So now I can put them to good use for Eva's room. And for my own sanity.
 
To make your own, here's what you'll need:

 
~ old playing cards (one for each necklace you plan to store)
~ a bundle of necklaces that will take you two hours to straighten out
~ patience
~ scissors
~ Trader Joe's Peanut Butter Cups Trax Mix, or the snack of your choosing (I chose this because I feel like I'm being healthy, when really all I do is pick the peanut butter cups out of the mix and leave the nuts for everyone else)
 
And here's what you do. It's SOOOOO easy.
 
 
 
1. Cut a two lines into each card, almost like a "V" shape, leaving the card intact.
 
 
2. Add necklaces.
 
 
3. Find a cool jar or box to put the necklaces in.
 
 
4. Take really bad photos with your phone because you spent so much time untangling the necklaces that you didn't have the time (or the patience) to edit photos.
5. Add soft focus and a cool frame to two of the photos to make it look like you at least tried.
 

 
6. Leave your daughter's room happily, knowing that jumble of necklaces is fixed. For now.
 
xo,
megan bird

14 comments:

  1. love that!! i was wondering how it would come together, but it did. such a great idea. love seeing what kids collect, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo, super idea, I'll be borrowing this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this idea! You smarty pants you. Pinning : )

    bisous
    Suzanne
    http://www.suzannecarillo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great idea (and I love that your list of supplies includes patience!). My daughter's collection looks like your daughter's before picture. I wonder how likely mine would be to hang them back on the cards - I'm tempted to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a really neat idea! I could see it working especially well with daintier necklaces for sure! The finished product is so cute - hopefully it keeps her necklaces a little more untangled!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is totally original and so smart and so cute!! You get an A+++++!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love this.

    http://www.amysfashionblog.com/blog-home

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a rather novel idea! I likeeee!x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cool! I'm doing this for my own necklaces! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You, my friend, are a genius. This is such an awesome idea! I love the vintage-y feel to the pictures too, it definitely doesn't look like you were being lazy here!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a really cute idea, and I love the vintage cards!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brilliant! The idea itself, the execution and the story telling. I was mesmerized! But that could just be me!
    And to think, that is a bad photo......
    hah!
    You can not do anything poorly!
    xx, Elle
    http://mydailycostume.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is the COOLEST idea! E has so many necklaces, too...I also don't know where she gets it from, either. This is such a cute, easy way to organize...I seriously LOVE this.

    ReplyDelete