Wednesday, March 11, 2015

bird seed: vegan spinach and orzo soup


Here's a quick, easy, and healthy soup recipe for you right before soup season is about to end! I made this for dinner last weekend for Jim's sister and her husband. I served it up with a simple salad and some crusty bread. It was hearty and filling and we all really enjoyed it! Even the kids!

Ingredients:
~ 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil (or your preferred cooking oil)
~ 1 small white onion, diced
~ 1 cup celery, diced
~ 1 cup carrots, diced
~ 3 cloves minced garlic
~ 8 cups veggie stock
~ 1 can (14 oz) fire roasted tomatoes
~ 2 cups orzo pasta
~ 1/2 tsp oregano
~ 1/2 tsp thyme
~ 1/2 tsp rosemary
~ salt and pepper
~ 4 cups fresh spinach

Directions:
Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add onion and sauté until soft and fragrant. Add the celery, carrots, and garlic and sauté until garlic is fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add stock, tomatoes, orzo, oregano, thyme, and rosemary and stir. Bring soup to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and continue to simmer for about 10 minutes or until the pasta is fully cooked. Make sure to stir occasionally as the pasta tends to stick to the bottom of the pan. (How do I get that to NOT happen? Anyone?)
Once the pasta is cooked, remove soup from heat and stir in the spinach until it is bright green and wilted. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately!


xoxo, nora bird

13 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! Yum! Soup is good ANY time of the year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great! I recently just discovered orzo (ridiculous, I know) so I love new receipes using it. And I could eat soup all year round--especially because it means bread. I can't have soup w/o bread. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love orzo!! This looks so good - I think Ollie would love this because he loves spinach. I think I might have to make it for him, it's always a good time for soup! (We're known to even eat chili in the dead of summer!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to try this! It looks yummy! xx

    You can find me on Facebook for more regular updates:
    https://www.facebook.com/StyleAt30

    Follow me on www.STYLEAT30.com | #styleat30travels

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum ! Orzo is so often forgotten about

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have to make this, HAVE to. The only way I've been able to keep pasta from sticking is to cook it separately and add it to the soup right before serving.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I genuinely want to eat this right now!x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmm, that looks good. I'm a big fan of orzo, especially in soup!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This soup has so many ingredients I love. I am definitely making it. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE THIS!!! It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks so incredibly tasty and easy to make!
    I love adding extra herbs to dishes like this lately, like
    oregano..
    Thanks for sharing.
    xx, elle
    http://mydailycostume.com

    ReplyDelete