Thursday, February 5, 2015

outfit of the day(bird): flat




sweatshirt~ H&M
jeans~ The Limited
hat~ thrifted
shoes~ b. (a resale shop)

Well, it happened. Yesterday, I got my very first ever flat tire (I was quite late to the driving game, not getting my license until age 20, so I've had less time to gain this experience.) Ben and I were in the car after the gym, on our way to run all the errands I had to do before picking Mimi up at school, and suddenly the car started making a very strange noise and I felt it start driving a bit differently. I looked at the dashboard display and, sure enough, the low tire light was on. I pulled onto a side street, parked, and got out to assess the damage and immediately smelled burning rubber. Not a good sign. The tire was completely coming off and the rim was on full display. The sad part was, I had no clue what to do. I'd never had a flat and I've (stupidly) never learned to change a tire. I called my husband at work and he didn't answer. Next, I called my mom and immediately started crying because, mom. She told me she was just a few short blocks away and would come get us when we needed her. I tried Jim again to no answer. I knew we had roadside assistance but, of course, I didn't know the number and couldn't find the card. I emailed my sisters who all told me to call them if I needed them to talk me through changing a tire because they are all smarter than me and know how. Finally, Jim called back and we got someone to come out to patch the tire. My mom showed up and took Ben back to my house for lunch and Jim was able to leave work and drove out so I could take his car to go pick up Mimi. Jim waited while the tire was patched and then brought my truck in to get the tire replaced. Thanks to us having all-wheel drive we ended up needing to replace all the tires, which was not cheap. (#sadfaceemoji) The moral of this story? I will be learning how to change a tire. Like I probably should have 15 years ago. 

One nice thing came out of this story: Since I never had a chance to run my errands, one of which was grocery shopping, we ended up going out for pizza last night. Pizza=yum.

Do you know how to change a tire?

xoxo, nora bird

22 comments:

  1. I do know how to change a tire, check and change my oil... same with the radiator and windshield washer fluid. I can change a battery, top up transmission fluid, and have even replaced an alternator. I blame it on having lots of brothers who got tired of doing stuff for me, lol.
    In turn I taught the Great Scot how to do all that, AND how to drive on a manual transmission. He'd never driven until moving to the U.S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry for your pain, buddy. Something as simple as this can completely disrupt our day and cause the kind of fear and anxiety you describe. I hope you learn how to change a tire because, in addition to it being easy, it will give you confidence. Knowing you can handle an emergency makes such events less worrisome. My dad taught me when I was young and that has helped me ever since.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no. I have learned how to change a tire. I SHOULD know how to change a tire, but I don't remember one thing about it. I'm glad you got it all worked out even though I know how expensive tires are, so that stinks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dad insisted on teaching me to change a flat tire before I got my driver's license. He made me do all the work so I'd know how to do it if I ever had to - and then for Christmas bought me a Triple A membership, lol. But I'd know what to do if I had to which I'm thankful for I guess!
    And yay for moms right? And pizza nights! And love your shirt and beanie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have no idea how to change a tire either, but am thankful for helpful parents as well (and of course, handy husbands)! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do not. And the one and only time I ever got one was when I was driving by myself on the expressway in Philadelphia in the middle of the night!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well you certainly deserved pizza after that! I have had a million flats but the only thing I know how to do about it is wail and flail my arms around like a toddler and call someone (usually roadside assistance) to fix it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know how to change a tire. Sadly just a few months ago. I put air in the car tire for the first time. So your not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I could have written this story, right down to parents saving the day by picking up the kids and husband leaving work to help out and sadly to not knowing how to fix a flat...The only difference? I was 19 when I finally got my licenese, needed to get it when I left for college but I still don't know how to change a flat. I did program the assistence number into my cell though, I seem to get all the flats in this family :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. that stinks!!! i would've cried too. actually i have cried over a flat tire! it's happened to me twice and i still don't know how to change a tire!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh Gosh! I have been instructed on how to change a tire probably 3 times in my life but I have NEVER actually done the changing because those tires are tooooo heavy. I know what a flat tire feels like when driving, tho. That's been the case about 3 times in my life, too. But NOT ever change a tire, myself. Great outfit, Nora! I love the HAT!!! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was taught how to change a tire many years ago but I doubt I would physically be able to do it. Those lug nuts are on so tight. That's why road side service is worth it :-) Love the pom pom and shoes! You look super cool.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh no!!! I wouldn't have a clue! And I can't drive so if I ever learn, you have 14 years experience on me!!! Glad you liked the card idea, show us what you did when you've done it!!!x

    ReplyDelete
  14. You look so freaking cute! I used to be able to do a lot of car stuff on my 1985 Mazda 626 and 1998 Volkswagen Cabrio. Everything was so simple! I couldn't even figure out what was going on beneath the hood of my new Jetta and once I got this beast of an Expedition I stopped even thinking I could change its tire. :(

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Nora,
    This is one hellish way to get the excuse to go out for pizza!!!
    I do not know how either, I have AAA, though, and so far, so good.
    Also in Manhattan, I rarely drive, but the
    taxi can drivers, well they can make you want to throw up your pizza!
    You look gorgeous in the graphic tee and light beige jeans that fit, so well@!!!!!

    I also love the knitted cap, I think that peachy pink is my favorite color for this season so far.
    happy thursday sweet gorgeous!
    xx, elle
    http://mydailycostume.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Luckily the first flat tire I got was when I was on my way to my dad's house and I was like two seconds from his house when it happened! Love those sneakers!
    ~Sara

    ReplyDelete
  17. I read this story thinking oh this is totally me. I sadly do not know how to change a tire, and I would SO be the one crying to my mom about it too. This story makes me realize I need to learn that skill too!
    Love this cute look at least and a pizza dinner sounds good too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This could have been me. And seriously, what is it about moms & the instantaneous crying that happens in those situations? Like I can be totally fine talking to other people about it but as soon as I talk to my mom, I'm done. So anyway, if I've read this post correctly, the moral of the story is: if you get a flat tire the reward is pizza. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have never changed a tire before. Thankfully I have roadside assistance :)

    -Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nothing wrong with improvising! Yes I can change a tire but its not so fun and at least you looked super cute in that outfit! http://soworkweekchic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. I certainly do not know how to change a tire Nora, but you do look great. Loving these light winter grays. What a cute sweatshirt, sneakers and beanie!

    ReplyDelete