Tuesday, February 3, 2015

outfit of the day(bird): the art of negotiation




jeans ~ Opitz
boots, jacket, sunglasses ~ thrifted
shirt ~ Marshalls
necklace ~ Target, gift 
Our kids do a large number of chores around the house. They are responsible for cleaning out the dishwasher (and subsequently filling it back up), taking out the garbage and recycling, cleaning their rooms, and general pick-up around the house. Eva also oddly loves cleaning the bathroom; however, she has more than once mistaken linen spray for cleanser.
Chris and I think it’s an important lesson to teach the kids…be clean, respect your surroundings, and don’t be lazy! They complain here and there, but for the most part have accepted these chores as a household duty.
Just recently, Henry started asking for an allowance. Chris and I have always told them (half jokingly) that living in the house is their allowance, but we recently decided that they do quite a bit around the house, and so why not also teach them the responsibility of earning and saving money?
We started with just $1 per week….sounds cheap, but really $1 is a lot to a kid! We started paying them last weekend. The same day we gave them their first dollar bill, I told them they had to clean their rooms. And not just any kind of clean, I told them they had to “mama clean” their rooms…which is Hollywood speak for super, duper clean, not just stuffing everything under the bed.
Henry always get a little belligerent when he hears the words “mama clean”, and upon me saying it, he immediately said, “for mama clean, I think you should give us $2 a week.” To which I immediately responded, “Either way you have to clean your room. At any point, papa and I can stop giving you an allowance.”
And that was the day that Henry realized he doesn’t have all the power.
It was also the day he “mama cleaned” his room.
xo,
megan bird


16 comments:

  1. Amusing story. Using an allowance, you can teach your kids valuable lessons not only about the importance of work but also about money. How they save or spend the few bucks they get will have an outsized significance to them and teach them about money in general. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha! you tell 'em! i never got an allowance back in my day! *holds up cane and shakes it*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it get that your kids help around the house. I had to do the same growing up. My Mother in Law cleans my brother in laws room. It drive me nuts. I told her if she going to clean his room to put everything is trash bag and put it in the storage until he learns to clean his room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My parents NEVER made me do anything around the house growing up. My mom cleaned my room until I went off to college. I was a slob because of it. But not my kids - they're learning early that in order to live in this house, we all participate in chores. I'm with you mama!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's what we're planning on doing with Ollie too. I love the "mama clean" that's pretty funny!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's great. We do the same thing with our kids. They have things that are considered "responsibilities" and they do not get anything in return, it is just expected. Then we have chores that they are paid a quarter for and it might be clean up after the baby, or help clean the car, mop, etc. Kids really need to learn about money so it works for us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally agree! My kids are the same way. They have chores that they do everyday ranging from dishes to laundry to clean their rooms to sweeping. They can chose to get paid for it if they keep track of what they need to get paid, but most of the time they don't and they are actually fine with it. To reward them for what they do do, I take them to the dollar store now and then and let them each have some money. I think it is a great thing to install in kids. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We do the same thing. No allowances yet but the kids definitely help around the house!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha mama cleaned! I like it. I definitely like the idea of an allowance for kids, once they are old enough to appreciate money. It helps teach them how to value money, hard work, and how to save. Very important life lessons!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mama clean! Great phrase, and I like the way you're handling chores and allowance at your house. =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Way to go mama!! I'm hoping that I can teach Jona to contribute around the house--I'm so impressed that your kids do all those things! Right now I'm trying to have him help me pick up toys before bed, which is a challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it (Mama cleaned)! Looking fab (as always). Those boots are super-adorable! T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. i never got an allowance!! i don't give my kids an allowance, but my dad gives my daughter $5 a week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this story! My husband & I have talked a lot about chores & allowance & I'm always interested what other families do. And "mama clean" -- perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh momma clean at your home is similar to Renae clean at my home. My HM is an super sweetheart, but he doesn't clean like I do. I am very ultra clean and during chemo it was impossible to have the house Renae clean. But now many areas of our home are back to Renae clean! lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great parenting, s many indulgent parents and you have it just right!
    I love the details of this story, the mistaken cleansers and especially the phrase "mama clean"
    it says it all.
    Love your jeans, they fit you so well, the blouse is so cool, and I love the orange booties!
    XX, Elle
    http://mydailycostume.com/

    ReplyDelete