Friday, January 30, 2015

mama bird: a kid in a corn maze

Last fall, I went on a “field trip” with one of my teams at work. We went to a place called Sever’s Corn Maze. Any local Minnesotans probably have heard of it, but for the non-locals, it is what it sounds like, a maze cut from a corn field. There is also an exotic petting zoo, a giant inflatable jumpie trampoline, a huge pit filled with dried corn kernels that you can basically swim in, and a place where you can shoot small pumpkins at a target from a large cannon-like mechanism. Oh, and there are also mini-donuts…it’s a pretty fun place.
However, when we were planning it, I just kept thinking to myself, “I am a 40-year old woman. What kind of fun will I have there? It’s more of a place that I’d bring my kids.” But hey, it was a day off work, outside on a nice fall day, and remember those mini-donuts? So I went.
And let me tell you, it was a blast. I ran around like a small child, petting kangaroos, swinging (not so successfully) from a rope swing into a pool of corn, shooting pumpkins (also not so successfully), tearing my shoes off to jump on the trampoline, and yelling “MARCO!” “POLO!” when we were all accidentally separated from each other in the corn maze. I even successfully completed a full course of monkey bars over the corn pool. There was also a giant slide, caramel apples, and of course, mini-donuts.
When I go to places like this with my children, I normally sit on the sidelines, making sure they are having fun, behaving themselves, being safe, etc. But what’s stopping me from doing all of these things with them? Why can’t I act like a kid with my kids?
So the next time I take my kids to Sever’s, I will jump, swing, shoot, and slide, and I will also make sure they are having fun, behaving, and staying safe. Because as parents, we don’t just have to be bystanders….we can always join in on the fun!

xo,
megan bird







14 comments:

  1. That looks like such a blast, and the corn pool would be right up my alley! Kids remember those times when their parents just got out there and had fun with them; precious moments. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good reminder. I often find myself sitting on the sidelines now (or more than likely, hovering over Alexander like a crazy overprotective helicopter parent). We would both have more fun if I would let loose and act like a kid again sometimes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keeping the kid inside us alive is a key to joy. Tap into that wonder, curiosity and enthusiasm. It's a source of bliss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! I want to be a kid with my kid too! And I want to go to the corn maze next fall, it looks like a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. New career plan: You plan adult field trips, I would totally take my team to this :)
    www.olivedoesthecity.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. that's so fun!! i want to be like that with my kids too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this & you are so right! What a great reminder for all us moms (& dads) to JOIN the fun instead of just watching/documenting it. I need to put down my camera & jump in a corn pool. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes! We need to be silly every once and a while. My kids try to get me to play all of the time. Sometimes I give in and I'm glad that I did.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds like a blast!

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  10. We love Severs! One of my favorite fall traditions! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sounds like fun! Such good advice too--I tend to sit on the sidelines as well :) But that place actually sounds like a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds so much fun and I love this post, it's wonderful reminder to never lose child in yourself.
    xoxo
    Ramona

    http://ramona-strikeapose.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
  13. sounds like an awesome way to spend a fall day. Glad you had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That does look like a lot of fun. I would like to sit in that pool of corn and just pick it up and pour it all over myself. Is that weird? LOL xo

    ReplyDelete