Friday, January 16, 2015

Goodwill Hunting: Inspired by Katy Perry

I blogged over at Goodwill....

Inspiration

My Goodwill Version (everything pictured is from Goodwill, except the socks)





My daughter has taken up cheerleading. It’s a fun sport for her, it teaches her rhythm (which doesn’t always come naturally), and discipline, and it’s given her a nice boost of self confidence. Why am I telling you this, you ask? Well, her classes just happen to be three blocks from a Goodwill. So, every Thursday, I drop her off, wish her well, and march myself over to do a little thrift shopping. It’s amazing what you can find when you only have 40 minutes to thrift. I have settled on a plan on how to conquer all two floors of the store in 40 minutes. I start with shoes … I always start with shoes. And trust me, there have been some days when Target must have just dropped off a shipment, because one Thursday, I got about seven brand new pairs of Target shoes for $2 each. I digress … I start with shoes. I then move on to dresses (and again, I have hit quite the jackpot on dresses, the one I’m wearing here included). Being a Minnesota gal, I then move on to winter coats, then sweaters, and I finish the first floor with jeans. Man, you’d be amazed at the fabulous jeans I’ve found there. Bonus, you don’t have to break them in! Then I move upstairs, which might be my favorite part. I could peruse home goods for hours, but like I said, I only have 40 minutes. Last week, I found an original Kaj Franck enamel mixing bowl for $5. Yep, $5, do you believe that??? I usually have my cart stuffed with goodies by now, and then I head to the kids’ department. I never buy new clothes for my kids. I swear to you they must walk on their knees at school! Thrifted clothing for growing kids just makes more sense, doesn’t it? After I finish the upstairs, I hop in the elevator, and pay for all my treasures. And it’s usually just in time to pick my daughter up. The night is good for everyone…kids get a little play and exercise, and mama gets a little retail therapy. Win/Win! 

What’s your favorite section to shop at Goodwill? 

xo, 
megan bird

19 comments:

  1. definitely a win-win for all! i love the home goods section. i like to repurpose things i find there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got it made Momma! My favourite section of Goodwill? Hmmm, it's a toss-up between winter coats and home goods; I always find something good there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We JUST got a brand new Goodwill by us - I'm so excited to head over and check it out. Especially after the way you've raved about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's a Goodwill near you with TWO floors? I think I need to go there! I have a Goodwill that is right in between my parents house and my office - and some days I stop there on my way back from lunch or if I get off a few minutes early before I go pick up Ollie. I always start with pants for some reason. I think it's because I'm always on the quest for the perfect jeans!

    I LOVE your look here, I think I like it even better than Katy Perry's!! The fur jacket is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great take on KP's look! You got it right by shopping while your girlie is a cheerleading. I tend to to do this too once I dropped the kids off to various practices. I hit shoes first as well, then housewares, and tops. I have been a little let down lately as my local GW's have been so lackluster!! I might need to board a plane or train or automobile!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG so much luckiness happening--a kid free weekly thrift trip? A two story Goodwill? $2 Target shoes? Amazing. Sounds so awesome! And dangerous. There is a Goodwill by our house too that sometimes there are rows and rows of reject Target shoes (including the pair in my post today actually) and those are good days. You did great as usual with the inspiration! Love that coat and the dress looks fab on you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found my favourite buy ever yesterday - a pair of Irregular Choice shoes for just £8.50! I literally skipped out of the shop.
    I tend to look at dresses or tops first and if it's cold I go for jumpers and coats. I'm still yet to find a good coat but my very first thrifted purchase, must be four years ago or more, was a long cardigan that I still wear a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whao! Awesome outfit! I need you to come shop for me for going out clothes, I have none. What an awesome Thursday though! I would love that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. what find on the shoe. I'm in love with your dress.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look amazing and this Goodwill sounds spectacular. We had a Goodwill here when I was a child but they pulled out decades ago. It was never a store as large as yours is though and I am just drooling at the thought of it! Two floors! We are also losing our Target as they are pulling out of Canada altogether. I think you should create an outfit for Sara and feature it on the blog. That would be so cool!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LONG to visit a Goodwill! My Mum went to Florida with my sister in December and I just wanted to say to her "Find a Goodwill and a Modcloth and buy me vintage and vintage-inspired goodness!" I kept asking her if she'd seen either store but she didn't- grrrr!
    You look aaaaaaaaaaaamazing- that coat is SO cool! Just like a very huggable bear!x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the home goods section! I found a glorious wing back chair that I'm recovering in zebra. The chir was $3.
    -Ash
    www.stylizedwannabe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, Excellent stylish and inspirational shopping! LOVE your outfit! The dress and jacket are so on trend! Love the cheerleading schedule and the 40 minute count down to bargain bliss.
    Rah, Rah!!
    This is the smartest way to shop!
    xx, Elle
    http://mydailycostume.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are so lucky to have a great Goodwill store near you. I have always wondered how retail stores donate to charity. It's interesting that Target provides so much to your store. Do you think it's because the corporation is based in you area? I'm so weird to think "how things work."

    ReplyDelete
  15. That dress is fabulous!! I'm so amazed that you found all that at Goodwill. There's one near me and I find the best children's books there!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That dress is so much fun and look at you rock those awesome OTK Socks. Love this hippy look!

    ReplyDelete
  17. you get to thrift while she practices cheers? works out well, if you ask me :) also: i love when people have the courage to do dresses in the winter - dress up the season and get out of pants for a bit:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. 1. I love your outfit way more than Katy's
    2. The Goodwill on a time limit? Love it!
    3. Favorite section to shop in is definitely skirts, I'm short they work as skirts and dresses!

    ReplyDelete