Wednesday, January 14, 2015

bird.i.y.: citrus bath salts


Lately, after a long day, once the kids are in bed and the house is quiet, nothing sounds better than relaxing in the tub with a piping hot cup of tea or a nice big glass of wine. I love adding Epsom salts to my bath, which can help ease muscle tension, release toxins, and relax the body. It's also nice to add a few drops of my favorite essential oils, which all have different and multiple benefits. Lemon oil is great, especially during the cold months, because the scent reminds me of warmer days. It's also great for soothing rough skin, is a great cleanser, and just generally smells yummy! I decided to combine the two to make a soothing, citrus bath salt, perfect for relaxing at the end of the day. It is super simple to make and totally worth it. These bath salts smell so good and would make a great gift, as well!

Ingredients:
1/2 cup Epsom salts
1/4 cup baking soda
Zest of one small lemon or orange
12-15 drops lemon essential oil

Instructions:
Combine the Epsom salts, baking soda, and zest in a bowl and stir to combine. Slowly, add the essential oil and stir until completely incorporated. Spoon the salts into a clean, empty glass jar and seal tightly. Let the bath salts sit for two days before using, to insure the scent of the essential oil is well infused.


What's your favorite way to unwind at the end of the day?
xoxo, nora bird

11 comments:

  1. you had me at diy. i love bath salts. these would brighten any day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can never go wrong with a good bath

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice "twist" to the normal bath. I find bathes very relaxing and this adds to the experience. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh this sounds delightful. I love baths and I love using bath salts! Best way to unwind at the end of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A hot bath is my FAVORITE. I'm am definitely going to have to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes! A hot bath with a big glass of wine. I need to try the essential oils. This winter is killing my skin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so cool! I am going to make a batch of this for my friend for her birthday, she would love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome! Where do your order your oils from?

    ReplyDelete
  9. They sound really invigorating! My mum made me some lavender bath salts and I loved them!x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I bet this smells wonderful! You know I haven't taken a bath in forever--that sounds pretty dang relaxing! Lately my end-of-the day must have is (spiked) hot cocoa. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sounds truly awesome. I know epsom salts are effective, and I need this, so I really should make this product, I sue plain ole salts, and the citrus sounds divine, a favorite scent.
    I am on steroids for the rest of my life, and it leaches Magnesium out of my body, so epsoms salt baths are vital for me.
    I used to drink wine every day, but now I am limited to a glass a month. ( doesnt mix well with chem type med i take for autoimmune stuff- no worries, i feel good!)
    Unwinding....Netflix, walking around my neighbor hood, reading your blog and other favs of mine, online shopping....listening to books ...
    xx, elle
    http://mydailycostume.com/

    ReplyDelete