Friday, January 23, 2015

bird seed: mini chocolate chip blondies


I love to bake and I do it a lot. I enjoy coming up with new recipes and trying out interesting ingredients. I find it calming and it is something fun to do with the kids. Mimi especially loves to help. Lately, if I have some time and I know we have a showing later, I will bake some cookies or bars to make the house smell yummy. If you walked into a house that you were thinking about buying and it smelled like freshly baked goodness, wouldn't you want to buy it that much more? I like to think it helps. Anyway, my problem is that I don't really eat the baked goods. I mean, I will but, if given the choice, I will pick salty or savory over sweet any day of the week. My kids love them, of course, but I am one of those strict moms that doesn't allow a ton of sweets in their diet. Just ask my dad. He will tell you. He yells at me about it all the time. (Grandpas be crazy.) Jim gets annoyed because he usually ends up eating most of what I bake. Ha! So, lately, I have been baking cookies and bars and giving them away to family or neighbors. Last night, I had a showing and basically invited myself and the kids to my parent's house for dinner. Since I seem to be doing that a lot lately (sorry Mom and Dad!), I decided to bake them up some bars as a thank you. They were pretty yummy and super easy, so I thought I'd share the recipe! Enjoy!

Ingredients
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1-1/2 cups brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tablespoons milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 bag mini chocolate chips

Instructions
~Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
~ In a small bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, beat together the butter and brown sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs, milk, and vanilla and beat well. Slowly, add the flour mixture and beat until well incorporated. Stir in the mini chocolate chips. Spread the mixture into the prepared pan.
~ Bake for 30 minutes, until lightly browned. Cool in pan on a wire rack before cutting into bars. Makes about 2 dozen bars.



Do you enjoy baking? What's your favorite thing to make?

xoxo, nora bird

13 comments:

  1. Love to bake! My favourite things would have to be pub rolls and my lazy bread. (I'm with you on the salty/savoury foods.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm more of a cooker than a baker, since I tend to stray from recipes. And even though I'm more salty than sweet too, I do love a blondie - they're like a big cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sometime this week was national blondies day, so this is just in time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love baking, so much more than cooking! Cookies and cupcakes are my favorites to bake, but we can never eat the stuff fast enough so I end up sending a lot of stuff to work with Nate! He loves blondies, I might have to make this recipe for him!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well you are lucky! I like to bake and then eat it all! LOL Thus why I need to slow down on all the baking. I took training on how to be a chef and baker at college and while I was taking the classes I magically put on some 20 lbs. Not good. But delicious! LOL

    These look good...but I won't be making them.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Girl! Did you read my last post??!! I am staying away from the treats at the moment, yet I can smell the yumminess through my screen!! These look delicious!

    Should I email my mailing address or just make them myself?? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love chocolate and this cake seems so good...
    i want to try to make it
    thanks for sharing
    kisses

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to bake so much more. I once made a cheesecake from scratch (I like saying that even though it sounds way more impressive than it actually was) & my "specialty" was homemade lemon bars. I gotta make those again. So yummy. These look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Grandpas be crazy, hahahaha. These look freaking delicious, and I want to make them right now! I love baking too, but my problem is that I'm TOTALLY a sweet-over-salty person so it's dangerous for me to bake stuff, because I will eat the crap out of it. Instead of sharing it like you do. If you ever come to Kansas City you can share your baked goods with me any time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love to bake too but I also love to eat it so it is much better for my waistline now that I rarely bake. Most gluten free options really aren't worth the calories. These look delicious. I used to give baked things away to neighbours too. That way I could eat a few and then get the rest of them out of my reach. xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. chocolate chip blondies are probably the thing i bring to book club most often. i love them, and i need to share them with a group to keep from eating them all :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds like the perfect treat--especially for a snowy day like this one! T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nora,
    I used to love baking, Especially brown and cookies.
    Living in NY it doesn't seem as enticing, especially when so many great bakeries are all around ,
    But I do love to come into a house that smell like cookies, and I did that too, when selling my house , it works, and I agree, it can be relaxing .
    Good luck with all of that!
    Xx, Elle
    http://mydailycostume.com

    ReplyDelete