Wednesday, January 7, 2015

bird seed: (award winning) squashurritos


Our family’s first ever Iron Chef competition was a hit. It was so much fun to get together with the family, spend a whole day laughing, cooking, and tasting each other’s creations (read about it here if you have no idea what I’m talking about). And to top it off, Chris and I won!!! Woohoo! Granted, it was a jumble of voting, and we have to refine how we do it next year, but we won. The secret ingredient was squash, and between the whole family, we got a great mix that included risotto, brownies, ravioli, soup, and fritters. 

Chris and I made an appetizer:

butternut squash puree with crème fraise and fried sage on toast
dessert

shortbread and acorn squash mini pies
and an entrée…which we aptly named squashurritos. They are definitely something I will be making again…so I thought I’d share the recipe with you.
It’s a very simple recipe, if not a bit time consuming. But then again, any time you need to roast a squash, it’s going to be a bit time consuming. The roasting could definitely be done ahead of time.
Mix together:
½ butternut squash, pre-roasted and diced
1 can black beans
1 small can (10 oz.) roasted corn (we used the kind with chipotle peppers in it)
1 small (10 oz.) can rotel diced tomatoes and chilies
¼ cup red enchilada sauce (save remainder for sauce below)
1 t chipotle powder
1 diced canned chipotle pepper (save adobo sauce)
½ pound grated smoked gouda
8 oz. room temperature cream cheese, diced
Stir this all together until the cream cheese blends into the mixture, fill 8-10 tortillas and bake at 325 for 30 minutes.

Remove from the oven and cover the burritos with the remaining enchilada sauce (you can also add this before the baking process if you want). Mix ¼ cup adobo sauce (from the chipotle pepper can) with 2 cups sour cream (and salt to taste), and garnish the burritos with the sour cream mixture.
And now, a few pictures from the night.




My dad made hot dogs for the kids (and forgot to take them off the grill).


Since I can't leave you with that picture, I'll leave you with this picture of Eva and my baby niece Etta. Beauties!


xo,
megan bird 

19 comments:

  1. loved following this on IG! awesome idea. congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy, it sounds so tasty!!

    http://ladyparisienne.fr/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fun day. Also a nice way to get the family together. Congrats on winning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I prefer my hotdogs a little less, um, cooked. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seriously sounds like the funnest day! I love that your family did that! And your recipes sound amazing. And now I'm hungry at 9:30 am. Even after the hot dog picture, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats to you two, that looks intense!!! I loooove the hot dogs, I actually laughed out loud on that one!! Too much fun was being had to worry about the grill :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, thanks for sharing the recipe - it sounds super delicious. Congrats on the win! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! Those really look inspired : )

    This looks like such a fun time.

    And wow...I thought I burnt meat! LOL

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not a big squash person but that looks delicious! And the whole idea seems like so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That recipe looks delicious!! Such a fun event to do with your family...and congrats! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aren't you clever!!!! What a fun competition to have!x

    ReplyDelete
  12. i'm so hungry now..
    beautiful pics
    kissses

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a fun idea to do with the family! The hot dog picture made me giggle a little! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The hot dogs! That is funny. And smoked gouda. Yum -great cheese choice. I am always looking for meatless meals and this one looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those hot dogs!!! Hilarious. Congrats on the big win!! The squashurritos sound good too. Seriously, can I join your family?! :) You sound like you have the most fun together!

    ReplyDelete
  16. LMAO those poor hot dogs! These sound amazing, as does a family Iron Chef competition! I need to get on this, stat!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Haha I like hot dogs pretty brown-- but I think black is another story lol
    Melanie @ meandmr.com

    ReplyDelete