Monday, December 15, 2014

inspiration monday: pity party

the inspiration

megan bird



leggings ~ Kohls
sweater ~ Marshalls
shoes ~ Shoedazzle
hat ~ TJ Maxx

nora bird



sweater ~ TJ Maxx
shirt ~ Old Navy
pants ~ thrifted
shoes ~ Ebay
necklace ~ vintage, gift

I will admit, I had a huge pity party this weekend. It was the weekend of multiple parties. All parties I was excited for, but still, a weekend full of parties I had to get ready for. I took Friday off to clean and cook. I needed to cook for the whole weekend, so I needed to cook for about 30 people. I also got into the groove and super duper cleaned my house. Like scrubbed the bathroom floor on my hands and knees sort of cleaning.

And I cooked, and I didn't sleep well, and I woke up the next morning and cleaned and cooked some more. And then I had to go to Ikea on Saturday evening. That's what really did it in for me. Ikea, on a Saturday night, with the carts that have wheels that require super core strength to move. And a store that requires a map and a compass to move around in. It was just that kind of day.

And then the next day, I woke up and cleaned again, and cooked a little more. And during one of the parties, I even had a little private cry in the basement because I was so tired. And then I got over myself...then the parties were over. I just needed a little bit of time to feel sorry for myself. A little bit of time to be THAT martyr mom. I didn't want to do it, but I did. 

But when I looked at Eva, and I saw the smile on her face at the success of her birthday parties, I immediately felt both happy and guilty. But mostly happy.

I guess everyone is entitled to a few minutes (hours) of feeling sorry for themselves....as long as they quickly get over it.

And by the way, here is her cake. I think I did a pretty good job!
xo,
megan bird

For next week's inspiration picture, click here.

20 comments:

  1. We all deserve a pity party sometimes and it always makes you feel so much better after you have had it. You did a great job on the cake, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can SO relate to this post. I've had a pity party for myself that's lasted for days--post a disappointment I experienced in the workplace last week. Sigh... You two look lovely as ever. I adore cobalt blue and absolutely have to get some infused into my wardrobe! Thanks for hosting this link up. Hugs, T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. there's nothing wrong with that! it proves you are human! wish i was there to give ya a hug! and snoop around your amazing house for inspiration ideas. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We all have weekend like that. Eva cake turn out awesome. Also you both nails these outfits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hang in there. This season can be exhausting, but feels better in retrospect.

    I want to move to your neighborhood so I can see you posing for outfit-photos every day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing wrong with that. Sometimes a little bit is necessary? Loving this outfit inspiration, I need to borrow both of your tops :)
    www.olivedoesthecity.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great inspiration and great recreations! I love a good mix of black & blue!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep - you're definitely entitled! It's a lot of work to host people, and our littles aren't the best at understanding just how much we do for them. Glad you were able to get past it though!

    Both of you are looking lovely in blue!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You need a good privacy cry every once in a while! Love both of these outfits so much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had a few of those moments while getting ready for Oliver's birthday party too, it's totally ok!!

    And you both look awesome, I had every intention of linking up today and had a great outfit and then my child decided that getting sick would be a great idea and so mom is home and doing a lot of laundry if you get my drift. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Totally allowed & totally understandable. We are human. It happens. And seriously--your cake is amazing. Weren't you sad to cut into it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Holy cow I am wore out just reading this! You deserve a mom day! And an award! Treat yo self! Glad that the parties went off in just a hitch and now they are all done and over with! You both did great with the inspirations. Love the cardigans and hat!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everyone deserves to throw a pity party every now and then. You had a busy weekend! I think it's awesome you both had cardigans that matched the inspirations pic so well. I'd love to tour your closets!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I frequently have a pity party! Don't feel bad!!! You look amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please please please go over to Maricel's tomorrow at www.myclosetcatalogue.com and link up because these outfits are totally TARDIS blue!!!!!x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey, you did an amazing job and gave your little lady some pretty special memories, no wonder you were tired and when we're tired tears and feelings that we wouldn't normally feel bubble up. You did great, you're awesome, you deserve a little party of your own x
    You both totally nailed this look.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That cake! And yes, you deserve to have a pity party every once and a while. We've all been there. And and I am obsessed with the cobalt and black looks.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These looks are SPOT on, I love them. And I think you're totally entitled to your pity parties...party planning/prepping/cleaning is STRESSFUL. But I'm glad they went over well!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh and OMG that cake!!!! Awe. Some.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The cake is GREAT! And so are the looks... as for not being that Mom: bet you wouldn't be nearly so hard on a friend dealing with the same stuff, right?

    Btw, I love long and unruly hair, my hair used to come down almost to my knees.... but that doesn't really work for me anymore. *sigh* I so wanted to be the old lady with long white hair, dancing barefoot in the rain!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Carey Mulligan is such a beauty, but i've never followed her style profile. perhaps she's more private than most? anyway, i love her look, and you two both pull it off really well. i could see all 3 of you lined up in US Weekly with a "who wore it best' feature :)

    ReplyDelete