Wednesday, December 17, 2014

birthday bird.i.y.: fairy garden birthday party favors

OK, enough feeling sorry for myself. I can only handle about two days of self pity before I want to slap myself in the face and tell myself to suck it up. Instead of being tired and crabby, I'm going to focus on all the good things.
Like the first and foremost, it's my baby girl's birthday today! Eight years ago, she completed our family, and I have loved her more every minute that goes by. Happy birthday Eva Diva!!! I love you to the moon and back!
Secondly, I'm going to focus on all the good that happened last weekend. Sure, it was a lot of work, but it was a lot of work in order to throw the best party for my little eight year old that I could. And it was pretty fabulous. This year Eva chose a fairy garden theme, and I was pretty excited about it.

For these parties, I never want to send home the typical gift bag with the kids. Sure, every kid loves a good gift bag, but parents don't always. Instead, I like to come up with a craft for the kids to work on at the party, turning it in to something they can take home and show off (and yes, it also eats up an hour of what might be very loud, very crazy girls running around the house). This year, I decided we would all make fairy gardens. To make one (or 10) of your own, here's what you'll need.

~ small bowls (I thrifted these)
~ rocks or sand for drainage, and rocks for decoration
~ succulents
~ fake flowers
~ dirt
~ stickers, or any other decor you prefer (I couldn't find fairy dolls small enough)
And then it's simply as easy as 1, 2, 3, (4):
1. Add rocks to the bottom of the bowl.
2. Add dirt.
3. Add as many succulents as you want and cover with more dirt and rocks to keep in place.
4. Decorate as you want with stickers, or whatever you have on hand.
Then simply send the kids home with their creations, happy in the fact that they proudly created something and had fun doing it!

Oh, and of course, make one for yourself, too!



xo,
megan bird

14 comments:

  1. Oh what a great idea! My little girl, at almost 25, still loves fairy gardens!

    Oh and hey, no slapping the you... that's my friend you're talking about. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg the 5 yr old would love this! she's a fairy, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a cute project. My friend does the same thing instead of doing a goodie bag. This year the kids made treasure boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're the coolest mom. Any chance you'll adopt me? Please?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That's amazing idea. I love it. You're star!

    xoxo Ramona

    http://ramona-strikeapose.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this idea & will be doing it with my kids. They both love fairies. Thanks lady--you rock! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG this is so friggin cool! I need to step up my birthday game, this looks loads more fun than going out to dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a great idea for a party favor - so much better than a bag full of candy and junky toys!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awwww, this is so sweet! I love your creative ideas- Such a good idea and these look decent- any parent would be glad to display this!x

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is amazing, what a great idea!! You are so crafty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh my gosh! how cute!! i want to come to your party!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These fairy garden birthday themes are lovely. Planning my younger sister’s birthday. Will have this theme and favors for the day. She will love this for sure. Will book one of amazing Seattle venues for the day. Hope will be able to make this day great.

    ReplyDelete