Wednesday, December 3, 2014

bird.i.y.: Hand Stenciled Shower Curtain

I have never liked black shower curtains. For some reason, they have always made me think of messy college boys’ apartments. I’m not sure why, but I didn’t know a whole lot of clean and organized boys in college, so you see where I’m going. However, I still went ahead and did a DIY with a black shower curtain. I added a little flair to it, so it went from rags to riches with the help of a little fabric paint.
To make your own, here’s what you’ll need:
~ Shower curtain. You choose the color (I chose black). 
~ Fabric paint. Again, you choose the color (I chose white). 
~ Iron
~ Large stencils 
~ Stencil sponge
I don’t have a lot of color options when it comes to our bathroom. You see, this is our floor…
And this is our wall…
While I hate the colors, I have grown quite fond of the bathroom itself — mainly because all of the tile is original. It’s hard to tear out 1932 tile. Maybe it’s not, but for me, I like to stick with original as much as I can. So black and white seems to work.
I started by laying a large picnic towel on the floor to prevent bleed-through with the paint. I topped the towel with the shower curtain (right side up) and ironed it to get out any wrinkles (note that I washed and dried the curtain before I began the whole process). 

I chose where I wanted to add text. In my case, our bathroom door opens to hide a portion of the shower, so I chose to not have the text centered on the curtain. OK, I’m also a lazy crafter, so I didn’t want to measure. I tried…I even pulled out my whole sewing kit and grabbed the measuring tape. And then I laughed at myself and decided to do it by eye. If you are more Type A than I, feel free to measure and do all that smart stuff that truly good crafters do. I like to think I have a fairly good eye, so I did it my way. You can judge for yourself at the end.
I started with my top line of text, and actually taped the stencils on to try to prevent as much stencil bleed-through as possible. I gave each stencil 2-3 coats of paint and removed the stencils as soon as I was done. I did the same for the second line of text.

I let it all dry overnight, and the next morning, I took a black Sharpie and corrected any bleed-through 
problems I had. See, a black shower curtain wasn’t such a bad idea after all.


Once I was sure the paint and Sharpie were all dry, I flipped the curtain over, and ironed the underside to heat seal the paint. I’m not sure how effective this is, but I’ll let you all know once I wash the curtain for the first time…because unlike most college boys, I wash my shower curtains.

And as an added bonus, I now have a picnic blanket telling everyone in the vaguest of ways, “I woke up this way”.


Oh, and a shower curtain…

 xo,
megan bird

PS. showering in a shower with a black curtain is a bit like showering in a dungeon. Just an FYI.

16 comments:

  1. Ha! I love it...and the original tile... how cool! xo Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. AH I love this! So cool and I love that saying lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this DIY! And I totally laughed at your last line about the dungeon, haha.

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  4. hehe bathing in a dungeon. too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the original tile & agree it's hard to update some of those original parts of older houses. And very cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the shower curtain. Also on a random not I really like you shelf too.

    I don't have a shower curtain in around my bath tub. Do to we just take bath in it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG this is such an awesome DIY! Good call with the towel, lol. I am going to have to keep this in mind when we need a new one. I am thinking of a white one, but something like this would be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha ha, I love this ! And, having showered in a thick circular midnight blue shower curtain in Croatia, I know EXACTLY what you mean about the dungeon!x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that and I have a dark brown curtain and can totally agree with the dungeon feeling :) We have the same wood floors and our homes seem to be about the same age. Unfortunately our home was a beauty salon when we bought it, so all the original work was pretty much gone and then we had to gut it as well because 70's beauty salon was not a look we were going for, even though it was their 'updated' look :) Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha ha! Yes...dark shower curtains can make shaving and other things difficult.

    This really did turn out great though. And bonus project on the new towel! ; P Ah...you learn so much each time you DIY don't you?

    bisous
    Suzanne
    http://www.suzannecarillo.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, you nailed it! That looks so chic and playful.

    xoxo Ramona

    http://www.ramona-strikeapose.blogspot.ie/

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a cool idea! I have to say I never would have thought of DIY-ing a shower curtain...I love how it turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  13. As long as you don't have manacles on the wall, lol.

    I love this idea, it looks great! Hmmm, a grey shower curtain and pale yellow lettering...

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such a cute idea! And what is it with the pink tiles in the 30s' homes? My parents had the pink tiles like that but had to tear them out because of water damage. I was a little sad.

    ReplyDelete