Monday, November 17, 2014

inspiration monday: lost and found

the inspiration
Naomi Watts

megan bird



entire outfit ~ thrifted

nora bird



blazer ~ b. (a resale shop)
shirt ~ Old Navy
jeans ~ Levis
shoes ~ Sam Edelman
scarf ~ Goodwill

On Friday night after work, we let Desi out in the back yard like any normal night. We were all getting ready to go to our monthly neighborhood party, and he was content outside for a bit. As we were getting ready to walk out the door, I told the kids to let Desi in. Eva ran outside and back in yelling that he wasn't there.

I ran outside to double check and noticed that the gate was open. I immediately threw on some warmer clothes, told the kids to do the same, and we all set out to find him.

3.5 hours later, multiple ads posted online, many phone calls, and over 200 Facebook shares of his photo, we still hadn't found him. I was devastated, and didn't want to stop looking for him. At one point, a runner told me she heard a dog barking in this swampy area of the lake nearby. I ran there, and walked as much as I could before Chris told me to stop. It was dark, that area is known to have coyotes, and as far as we knew, it was a coyote she heard and not Desi. All I could think of was that our 15 year old deaf dog was stuck in freezing water, hidden in the reeds, and I was unable to get to him. Chris finally took the kids home to sleep, and I continued to look. When I could no longer feel my feet, I went home, and Chris calmed me down a bit by telling me that Desi would not have wandered too far, so he must be at someone's home.

We left our front and back gate open in case he headed home, and I woke up every hour to check if he was in the yard. The next morning, I went back to the lake to get a better look in the light of day. And then I slowly (creepily) drove through every alley in a mile radius of our house, hoping that if someone had taken him in, I'd see him in their back yard. About an hour into it, Henry called me and told me that he had been found. It turns out some new neighbors a block away saw him wandering and THANKFULLY took him in for the night.

I was so thankful. We still don't know who or how the gate got open, as it was closed when we left for work that morning, but regardless, we are so thankful to have him back with us. The kindness of neighbors is so huge, and we are so lucky to live in such a great neighborhood where someone will take in a stray dog without asking any questions.

xo,
megan bird

For next week's inspiration picture, click here.

25 comments:

  1. Oh gosh how heartbreaking! I can only imagine what you went through. But I am so happy to hear this story has a happy ending!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So thankful to hear Desi was found, and that you have such sweet neighbors to let him in during this very cold weather (we awoke to snow in Ohio this morning)! I'd be frantic if my dear pet was lost; so, I certainly understand the horrible situation that must have been. You both look lovely as ever. My rendition of scarf and blazer is with a dress, but I'm vowing to don this look with jeans and a tee this weekend. :) Thanks for hosting this link-up! T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. i was a nervous wreck when i saw on fb he was missing. so, so glad all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So grateful for kind people! And so glad Desi is okay. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow I am so happy this story had a happy ending. I can't imagine how stressed and worried you were...well I can because I've been there. I'm sure you needed a stiff drink after that.

    You guys got some snow! We're getting some now : (

    I need to be brave like you and still go outside for photos. I'm a wimp though.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, thank goodness! That could've had such a sad ending - you are so lucky you've got great neighbors!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Megan... we feel your pain. Thank you for sharing such an important story. I've had this experience and knew the depth of your emotions. Thank goodness for the happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
  8. you two know i'm more about text than images, but not today - i haven't even read yet! i got too excited about your cuffed jeans with booties and blazers - suchhhh a cute look. as in, i want to go buy some cuffed jeans immediately. i actually bought maternity jeans yest. so maybe i can cuff those?? even though i'm having a hard time keeping them up, not sure i should also be cuffing them up? hehe :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness that is one of my worst nightmares. I'm so glad someone found him and took him in for the night. Thank goodness for kind neighbors! Love both of your looks--you always have the most fun scarves!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an ordeal. I'm with you & wouldn't have been able to sleep, either. I'm so happy you had a happy ending & that good neighbors saved the day. Also, love both your looks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was so worried for you on Friday night and I was so happy on Saturday morning when he was found safe and sound. What wonderful neighbors for taking him in like that! Glad everything is ok now!

    Love both of your looks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG! I am so glad that you guys got him back! What awesome neighbors! I am always scared of what would happen if our dogs got out, Louie is terrified of other people :( I am glad he is home safe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad that you got your dog back. I was visiting my mom once and some kids took my dog out of my yard (I think it was pretty innocent). Anyway it was a frantic search - I'll never forget the feeling. I almost didn't get him back since the kids' mother decided she'd quite like a new shih-Tzu, I had to threaten calling the police. So you apparently have much more awesome neighbors than my mom did!

    ReplyDelete
  14. AH SO glad Desi made it back safely! I can't imagine how worried you must have been, what a relief!!!!!!! And how sweet of your neighbors!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So happy Desi is home safe! I cannot imagine what I would do, if that had been Olive.
    www.olivedoesthecity.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Having a dog go missing is a nightmare! I know how that goes. I am SOOOOO glad that you found him!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your looks this week. And, I am dying over next week's inspiration picture. Must. Get. Fringed. Bag!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So glad Desi was fine end thank God for kind neighbours.
    I wish I could see your pictures but my phone doesn't seem to like them. X

    ReplyDelete
  19. So glad you got Desi back. Loving both looks particularly the scarves

    ReplyDelete
  20. Aww! So glad you found Desi back and for the help of wonderful neighbors. Loving your boots too! xx

    Fashion | Travel | Food
    Jo from http://www.Styleat30.com

    You can find me on Facebook for more regular updates:
    https://www.facebook.com/StyleAt30

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh no! I'm so glad Desi is back and safe. Our pets truly are like family. The scarves have great colors and add such a pretty touch to both of your outfits.

    ReplyDelete
  22. WOW, I am so glad someone got him!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Poor Mama! I am so happy he was found for you guys. That's harrowing, especially when he's so old.
    -Ash
    www.stylizedwannabe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh what a night. We love our pets so much that we feel so much pain when they get lost, sick or die. As I was reading your post I am really wishing that you find Desi and relieve that you guys did. Good neighbors are hard to find and you guys are lucky. Love the outfit ladies and nailed it. Maybe copy it for myself one of these days.

    xo
    Sam
    http://fabulouspetite.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Naomi looks great as do the both of you. I have a leopard scarf obsession and own several. Loving both of yours.

    I am glad to get caught up. I have been sooooo busy.

    ReplyDelete