Monday, November 24, 2014

inspiration monday: don't let the bed bugs bite

the inspiration
Olivia Palermo
megan bird



coat ~ Burlington
shoes ~ Marshalls
leggings ~ ??
necklace ~ Forever 21

nora bird



coat ~ TJ Maxx
leggings ~ Urban Outfitters
shoes ~ H&M
necklace ~ gift from mother-in-law

We went to a wedding on Saturday night. It wasn't too far from our house, but the kids were with us, and Chris' whole family was there, so we decided to get a hotel room. The town the wedding was in is fairly small, and as such, there were no "nicer" hotels in the area. We were stuck booking a room at the local Travelodge. I had never stayed in one before, so I didn't know what to expect.

Well....as soon as we walked in, all I could smell was smoke. Smoke from the 1970s I can only assume, because that's how stale it was. We quickly (and hesitantly) ran our bags into the room, and immediately headed out to the wedding. 

I will tell you now what not to do after you have checked into a hotel. Don't ever look it up on the hotel bed bug registry because it will disgust you to no end what you are going to read. And at this point, you don't have much of a choice because you've already checked in, and the wedding is in 10 minutes. Also, your stuff is already in the room, so if there are bed bugs, they are already creepy crawling into your clothes.

After a few cocktails, I was feeling slightly better about sleeping in this questionable room (and by questionable, I mean I texted my sisters and told them I was pretty sure they filmed snuff films there). The next morning, we woke up at 7:00, threw all of our items into a plastic bag, drove home, and literally undressed in the entryway. Luggage went into the garage to freeze all winter, kids went into showers, and all the clothes went in the washer/very hot dryer. Hopefully that means we're safe.

Keep your fingers crossed for us!
xo,
megan bird

Click here for next week's inspiration picture.

17 comments:

  1. Oh you poor thing, im scratching myself just from reading about your ordeal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ack, I'd be freaking out too. It sounds like you handled it the best you could!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can SO relate to this post! We stayed at a gorgeous hotel in Bloomington for the first part of the getaway. But the second half of our little trip was to venture to our hometown--which is sorely lacking in terms of "luxury." LOL I made Mark practically strip the bed down upon arrival. Loving the renditions. I need to get a pair of faux leather leggings... Thanks for hosting this link up! T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ick! I hate places like that. I sleep on top of the sheets with all of my clothes on and one leg touching the ground. LOL

    You'd know if there were bed bugs there though, someone would have been bitten. I got them from the Hilton midtown in NYC. Not a crappy hotel. I was bit, that is how we knew. That hotel is full of them. Lots of hotels in NY are. And you are right, once you start looking at the registry, you will never want to stay in a hotel again. We now travel with a flashlight and check all of the bed while leaving the bags in the tub. It is a big pain in the butt...but less of a pain than having to replace all of our luggage and a bunch of clothes.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fabulous coats! Both of yours are immensely stylish. You two could be fashion-models in these chic outfits.

    I've learned that hotels differ in quality. I used to go to cheap ones but now spring for the extra bucks. The difference is worth the extra money.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I think you'll be safe, it sounds like you followed the necessary precautions! :) At least it makes for a good story too. I love both of your cute jackets. And you always look like you're having so much fun taking pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blech. Just blech.

    But your jackets? I want both of them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Megan, I love those shoes and Nora, I want that jacket!
    Ughhhhh on creepy hotel rooms! We always call those the Bates Motel!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm itching just reading this! I hope you managed to have fun at the wedding regardless of the creepy hotel room!!

    Love both looks as usual!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yuck. I can't even...just...YUCK! :)

    On a side note, your coats are fab!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can I steal both of your coats --- they are both so gorgeous! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh no!!!!!! Bedbugs--I have heard horror stories. I hope you are all safe from that! You both look great in your leather pants. Love the coats too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope you had a good time at the wedding. Even tho the hotel was a bust.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh no, poor you!!! I read a bed bug comment on a review website about a remote place we stayed in Croatia and I was SO paranoid- itch, scratch all the time! Wish I had got around to looking at this as I totally could have done an outfit based on this, In fact, maybe I still could, just next weekend!>!>!>!x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Itchy, itchy. It's like hearing about lice, and then you feel like scratching and that things are crawling all over you. At least you had a good time at the wedding. Love your shoes and coats!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm obsessed with that blue coat!! SOOOOOO PRETTYYYY!!!

    ReplyDelete