Friday, November 7, 2014

DIY Blog Tour

We were nominated by the beautiful Grace of The Big Reveal for the DIY Blog Tour. We met Grace at a Lee Jeans event a few weeks ago and have been big fans of her blog ever since. She writes about interior design, creates amazing found and foraged DIYs, posts drool-worthy wish lists, and so much more. If you don't already read her blog, you should!

For the DIY Blog Tour, we were asked to answer these four questions and then nominate someone else for the tour! So, here goes...

WHAT ARE YOU WORKING ON?
nora bird: I don't really have any huge projects I am working on at the moment. When it comes to DIYs, I am sort of a spur of the moment, I want to do this right now sort of a gal. I don't really plan things out in advance so much. That said, I do have one DIY project in the works that requires my husband to teach me how to use one of his power saws. And what that really means is that he will be using the power saw and creating the design that I have in my head and then I will post it on the blog and take all the credit! One non-DIY project that I am currently working on is cleaning out, paring down, and recreating my entire wardrobe. I am trying to create a simpler, classic, and more minimal closet of clothing and accessories. It is definitely still a work in progress, but I am getting there! Megan and I are also always brainstorming and coming up with new things to do with the blog and ways to foray our love of fashion, design, and DIY out of the blog and into the world. There are constant emails back and forth about things we would love to try or projects we would love to work on. We are always thinking of new ways to put ourselves out there!

HOW DO YOUR DIYs DIFFER FROM OTHERS IN THE GENRE?
megan bird: My DIYs are always easy. Sometimes I even feel embarrassed to call it a DIY, it’s so easy. I never want to be that blogger who does a DIY on making jean shorts, but I also don’t want to be that blogger that uses the Pythagorean Theorem to figure out what angle you need to cut your fabric in order to get the perfect craft made. (I know, that doesn’t even make sense, but I think you know where I’m going with this.) When I am making something for my home or my family/friends, and I post it on the blog, I like to think that instead of teaching someone how to do something, I am giving them the inspiration to create it on their own. 

 WHY DO YOU WRITE/CREATE?
nora bird: We started this blog four years ago as an extension of our business at the time. We were selling vintage clothing and doing pop-up shops and this blog grew out of that. We honestly didn't even know what a blog was when we started two birds. Since then, this blog has become so much more than a business. We have met so many amazing people through the blog, and that is by far my favorite part of it all. I would never say that my writing on the blog is all that great or that my DIYs are worthy of praise or rewards or my outfits are all that fashionable, but this blog is just kind of who we are, very honest and open, take it or leave it. I just have so much fun with the blog and reading other blogs and meeting awesome people (both virtually and in real life) and building friendships. This blog is a big part of my life and soul now and I am always so inspired by my other blogger friends and that is why I keep writing and creating and coming back!

WHAT’S YOUR CREATIVE PROCESS?
megan bird: I don’t have a normal process. I am a very impulsive person when it comes to crafting. I will be at work one day, and suddenly feel the urge to make something (or redecorate my whole house). One craft is usually the way I go, but there are also days that I will come home with a new mid-century chair or eight vintage grandma blankets (you think I’m kidding, but I’m not). Chris prefers the small craft, I vary. Anyhow, when actually doing something creative, I need to be all in, meaning  I need to want to do it and I also need to know that if I stop, I probably will not end up finishing it. So, once I start, I have to finish. Trust me, I have a few unfinished crafts lying around the house because I stopped to make dinner; they will probably never get finished. When I have the time and the “all-in” mentality,  I normally get everything together and organized, clear a nice big spot on the floor for myself, and turn on 80s pop music. There’s nothing like a good Cyndi Lauper song to get you in the mood to craft (and maybe a glass of wine).

 WHO ARE WE NOMINATING?
Like we said above, there are so many awesome and amazing people we have met through this blog. One of our favorite ever DIYers is Megan of Ginger Snaps. She not only posts the cutest DIYs and yummiest sounding recipes, but her writing is clever and hilarious and she is just someone you want to hang out and share a glass bottle of wine and talk all night with. She also might be the world's greatest thrifter. We definitely consider her one of our friends, even though we have never actually met her in person! For those reasons and more, we are nominating Megan!

A few of her awesome DIYs:



Be sure to check out her blog for more! And thanks again, Grace, for the nomination!

xoxo, two birds

17 comments:

  1. i loved learning more about y'all and your DIY process!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so enjoy your DIY posts, and you've inspired a lot of fun projects. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks again, ladies :) And I love that your DIYs are always easy - the difficult ones get filed in my brain as "not-gonna-happen crafts". Also, I definitely know about those half-finished crafts lying around the house... I have too many of those!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love reading your guys answer. Good Luck with cleaning out your closet Nora.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats girls! That is awesome!
    -Ash
    www.stylizedwannabe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. When you say, "this blog is just kind of who we are, very honest and open," you are speaking the truth. It's why I like it (and you) so much. I'm enjoy learning more about your lives, like how DIY emerges and fits into them. Nurturing creativity is important for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun post - I love your answers to these questions and I agree about blogging leading to friendships! I am constantly inspired by the both of you and I love being able to call you friends! I also adore Megan's blog so I say that was a great choice! I will have to check out Grace's blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this post! I honestly love your DIY's. I hate when I come across a blog that has a cool DIY that requires 500 things from the craft store. You guys could do a DIY on how to make jean shorts, because I have screwed that up in the past. I am really glad that you made this blog to go with your shop, and then stuck with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. 80s pop music? yup, I am so there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, now I have to go check out Megan's blog - those DIYs look so cute! And I always look forward to your DIYs here because you make them look so fun and easy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love all the DIYs you two share, they are amazing! Even if they are simple, it is so much better than some of the things I find on Pinterest. I'm not crafty so when I can read a simple DIY that I can actually follow, it makes it that much better! I loev Megan's blog (miss her fashion one though too)!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, ladies! I loved reading more about you and your creative process. Anyone who can seamlessly use Pythagorean Theorem in a sentence gets two thumbs up from me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your DIY projects, they are so cool!!! I like how chilled you are about it too. I am not good at DIY x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great news!! You guys always have super ideas! Have a happy weekend and congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like this tag and loved learning more about the pair of you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. you both are so relatable. i think that whenever i read your blog, but perhaps it rings true more so today with both of you offering up feedback side-by-side. nora- being a 'spur of the moment' diy kinda gal (um.. aren't we all?) and megan, nothing is more annoying that when a simple DIY pin opens up and becomes the Pythagorean Theorem mess that you described 'just grab your level and your screwdriver and a beam and the pliers and the saw and take all and run around the items three times and then suspend them from your balcony for six days while you make paint' or something like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the gift wrap and make up holders!
    I do think your authentic, down to earth personality comes through, as does you like able personalities ? I am very annoy to follow you two!
    Xx, Elle
    http://mydailycostume.com

    ReplyDelete