Wednesday, November 19, 2014

bird.i.y. framed outlet cover

I have started to run out of ideas for DIYs. Well, not run out of ideas, but rather run out of things that I really need in our house. And even more so, I am running out of "shoot, I need a DIY for the blog, but I need it by tomorrow" ideas. I have plenty of ideas for things I both want and need, but they all take a lot of time, and since I didn't even think about today's blog post until Monday, I couldn't do any of them. Stay tuned for better DIYs.

I'm not trying to be self deprecating, though. The fact of the matter is, I really like today's DIY. I really like the idea, and I like how it turned out. Plus, it was something, that in my head, I really needed, so I consider it a win.

What you'll need:

~ Frame (just the frame, no glass)
~ Exacto knife
~ Contact paper

You see, we have this hideous outlet in our bathroom. First of all, it's crooked, but there's not much I can do about that without electrical knowledge. Secondly, it's just plain ugly. There is a fan switch that we never use, and the old owner apparently just broke part off the outlet to make the fan switch accessible. See...


Also, there's dust. A lot of dust. But that's no one's fault but my own.

So I decided to fix this outlet up a little. 

First things first, I removed the cover.


OMG, ALL THE DUST!

Second, clean the dust, because that's nasty.

Third, place the frame over the contact paper, and with the exacto knife, cut the paper to fit the frame.


Place the old outlet cover over the cut paper and do the same with the outlet hole.


Then simply place the contact paper over the outlet, and nail the frame to the wall. And just like that, the outlet is pretty, Still crooked, but pretty!


In all honestly, I plan to replace the contact paper with balsa wood. While I like the look of the contact paper, I want something a little more durable. But, for now (because it was too cold to go to Michael's after work to buy balsa wood), I really like this small improvement in our bathroom.

xo,
megan bird

PS Everyone wish nora bird the happiest of birthdays!!!!! Love you, Nora!!

19 comments:

  1. This is a great idea, I would have never thought to do it like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love how this turned out! i need to clean under my outlets. idk wanna know what's in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great, and as for the crookedness, as Sir Francis Bacon said: "There is no most excellent beauty which hath not some strangeness in the proportion."

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks really great! Sometimes the best DIYs are the "I gotta scramble to get one done" DIYs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a really neat idea, I am trying to figure out if I have any outlets in my house that I could something like this with, because I really like how it turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a great way to turn an ugly outlet to something fabulous. Love this DIY!

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a really cool idea! I have a fugly outlet in my hallway that I might try this on. It needs something!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is genius and looks so much better than the regular plastic covers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday to Nora and I LOVE that frame!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks really cute! I would never think of DIYing my plugs so what a great idea :) x

    Jasmin Charlotte | UK Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday Nora!!!
    I have painted around my switch plates to give a framed effect, but I like the actual framed effect.
    BTW - totally made those pumpkin bars and they were delish. I didn't have any PB chips, so I used some left over butterscotch ones. Turned out great
    Brett

    ReplyDelete
  12. cute idea! for something that is such a necessity, switches and outlets can be such an eye sore, too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy birthday Nora!!! Hope you have a wonderful day!
    Megan, this DIY turned out so pretty! I love how you took an ugly thing and made it so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  14. SO funny! I just used contact paper to cover my ugly plastic light switches in my kitchen! Great minds...
    -Ash
    www.stylizedwanabe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an adorable, artsy frame. Love the idea.

    ReplyDelete