Wednesday, October 8, 2014

bird.i.y.: Upcycled T-shirt Throw Pillow


I have hit a new low in DIYs. I had that week off from blogging last week, and I just can’t seem to catch up. I started thinking seriously on Monday about what sort of DIY I could make. I had just purchased one of those cute white pumpkins, so I thought I’d do something with that. 
It’ll be cute, I thought. And I began the project. I spent a good 30 minutes on it, and laughed at myself. I texted a picture of it to my sisters, and said, “I need to come up with a new DIY because I’m 40, not 6.” Yes, it’s cute, but is it really DIY material? 

So there you have it. #diyfail. So at 9:00 pm on Monday night, I went to the basement to see what kind of inspiration I could come up with. I saw a pillow, I saw a t-shirt (both hastily lying on the floor where they shouldn’t be), and I thought to myself, “t-shirt pillowcase”. I mean, it’s got to be better than “kindergarten owl pumpkin”, right?
So here it is. I really don’t need to give you much detail on how I made it. I threw the t-shirt on the pillow, inside out, and pinned it to size. I sewed the collar and the arm holes shut, and then I stitch-witched the bottom because really I was just too lazy to actually sew it and make it look good. I could have done one or the other, but frankly, not both.
In the end, it’s pretty cute, if I do say so myself. I mean, it’s nothing I could sell on Etsy, it’s more like one of those, “it looks cute from far away, but seriously, does she not know how to sew?” projects.


I really should learn to use my sewing machine, or just get rid of it so I don’t feel stupid and guilty every time I walk in the storage room and see it. Who wants to teach me? I’ll pay you in t-shirt pillows!
xo,
megan bird

18 comments:

  1. Brilliant. I have been meaning to make tons of these and just can't seem to get to that machine! I need a lesson or a million myself!

    Happy Hump Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome project!!!
    xoxo

    www.sorananistor.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I'm 40, not 6." Thank you for the early morning LOL. I really love the pillow. One of these days I'm going to DIY something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will take both the pumpkin and the pillow.... as we both know, these are way better than I could ever do :) I do have two pillows in need of new covers... perhaps I'll bring them over to you??! :)
    www.olivedoesthecity.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a awesome way to reuse a t-shirt

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great idea - I wonder if I could do something similar with some of Ollie's old onesies? We have some that some friends decorated for us and I bet I could make him a few little baby pillows!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a cute idea! Just adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Let's sew do this. I can teach you a thing or two. Literally. I probably only know two things. My sewing philosophy is the same as the one in the kitchen. I generally don't follow instructions, patterns, or recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. that's a great idea!!! and you should use your sewing machine! especially pillows with straight stitches - I'm bet once you learn you'll think it's super easy!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Half of a project is the idea; the other half is execution. Most of us are talented at one or the other. Don't beat yourself up -- you excel at being creative. When you're ready, you'll develop necessary skills to implement your good ideas.

    (Sorry 'bout the deleted comment: I made a spelling error.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like the pumpkin! It is really cute. I hope you are keeping it. And that pillow is pretty awesome too

    ReplyDelete
  13. ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! That pumpkin is HILARIOUS!!! : ) You excel at children's art. Thus why you don't see me doing DIY's every day. They are hard!

    The pillow turned out cute and looks like someone over the age of 8 made it.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  14. this might be the funniest blog post i've read (ever). i wish i could have seen you making that owl pumpkin :) the good news? that pillow is AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is too funny Meghan. I need inspiration for my son's pumpkin project this year and I wish I saw your owl pumpkin. He won last year with our entry of Sally & Jack from the movie "The nightmare before Christmas". The good news is that pillow is an awesome idea.

    xo
    Sam
    http://fabulouspetite.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ha I understand fully. I actually took sewing classes in college, determined to learn and I have a beautiful vintage sewing machine in the attic just beckoning me to come give it a go, but I am so bad at it, everything always looks so terrible and I get so frustrated. So there it sits, maybe someday I'll try again.

    www.hollandsreverie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. it turned out cute and MUCH better than anything i could make!

    ReplyDelete