Tuesday, October 21, 2014

bird.i.y.: Halloween "Dream Catcher"


I have never been a 'decorate on holidays other than Christmas' sort of person. Frankly, I don't have enough storage space to house so many decorations. OK, I do, but I choose to save that space for shoes instead. But, I figured that Halloween is one occasion where people do actually come to our door, so I thought that at the very least, we could have something hanging on the front door. That, plus candy....and good candy, too...not that junk mix of Double Bubble and tiny Dums Dums, or dare I say, raisins!! So yes, good candy and a super easy Halloween dream catcher. You can have one too, in just a few (super) easy steps.

Here's what you need:

~ orange and white yarn
~ embroidery hoop
~ cardboard (for backing)
~ poster letters
~ hot glue gun

And here's what you do:
1. Wrap the white yarn around the embroidery hoop, making it resemble a spider web...or something vaguely like one.


2. Cut a very long piece of orange yarn (long enough to wrap the entire hoop).
3. Tie off the yarn at the top of the hoop.
4. Turn on a two-hour episode of The Voice, and start wrapping the yarn around the hoop, hot gluing as you go to make it stay in place.
5. Glue the word "BOO" to the cardboard.
6. Cut the cardboard to fit. As sloppily as you can, because wow that guy on The Voice has a really great voice and you're not paying any attention to what you're cutting.
7. Unplug the glue gun because wow that woman on The Voice has a really great voice and you're not paying any attention and glue is melting all over your bedroom floor.
8. Pause The Voice and finish your project!
9. Hang it on your front door.
10. Buy a new bag of Halloween candy because, who are you kidding, you ate it all already. (That wouldn't have happened if you had bought raisins.)


BOO!
xo,
megan bird

9 comments:

  1. What a fun project; something to look forward to trying next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes to the good candy! no raisins on halloween night!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The extent of me decorating for halloween is putting pumpkins on our front step. That counts right!? My husband already opened our bag of halloween candy too.. I have to hide them!

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute!! I love this - I also love the Voice. And candy. I plan to eat all the candy because I couldn't last year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done. I get decorate crazy on Christmas. I love Christmas. But at least pumpkin we have for Halloween :) Hope you' re having wonderful day!

    xoxo Ra

    http://www.ramona-strikeapose.blogspot.ie/

    ReplyDelete
  6. cute idea. I don't buy candy for Halloween. Since it not celebrated here in Germany.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LMAO! I love your DIYs :) That is really cute! We have a side door that never has anything hanging on it, I think I could make this for that door!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love your rationale for creating halloween decorations -- i'm with ya on only decorating for christmas, but maybe now imma make something for the door (well, when i get out of the apartment that is..)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute and easy!
    -Ash
    www.stylizedwannabe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete