Friday, October 24, 2014

bird seed: chocolate and toffee cashew clusters


I love making treats for my neighbors. I often get a hankering to make treats but I hate having them around the house, tempting me to eat every. single. one. of. them. So I tend to make said treats, package them up, and send my little delivery girl out to drop bundles of cookies or bars or candy on the neighbor's front stoops. My neighbors have yet to complain! And I always leave a few for Jim, the kids, and myself, of course! This week, I made these chocolate and toffee cashew clusters and, let me tell you, they are so good.

Ingredients:
~ 4 cups raw cashews
~ a hefty dash of sea salt
~ 1 bar (4 oz) white baking chocolate, chopped
~ 2 bars (8 oz) bittersweet baking chocolate, chopped
~ 2-10 oz bags of semi-sweet chocolate chips (or milk chocolate, if you prefer)
~ 1-8 oz bag of toffee bits

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place cashews on a baking sheet and roast in the oven for about 5 minutes, shaking pan every so often to avoid burning. Remove from oven and sprinkle with sea salt. Set aside. (Or you could buy pre-roasted and salted cashews and skip this entire step.)
In a large saucepan over low heat, cook the chocolate until melted, stirring often. Once melted, remove from heat and stir in the cashews and toffee bits. Drop spoonfuls of mixture onto parchment paper. Refrigerate for 15 minutes or until set. Store in an airtight container. (I keep mine in a zip lock bag in the fridge.) I made my clusters quite large and this mixture made about 30 pieces.


The clusters before and after setting.


All packaged up and ready for the neighbors! These yummy treats make great gifts for any occasion!

Happy Friday! Have an awesome weekend!
xoxo, nora bird

21 comments:

  1. I have to make these, they have all my favourite things! I'll even be good and share with neighbours (or I'll eat them all!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i could use a handful of these right now! so yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. MMmmm! I wish you lived by me : )

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously delicious and seriously cute! Love the bags/tags!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I was your neighbor! YUM! These sound sooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look and sound amazing. I love how you package them for the neighbors. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, yes yes, I want to eat these!!!!! X

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so getting saved for when my 8 week challenge is finished, it looks delicious!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Even though I don't like cashews, I would eat these! They look delish!
    ~Sara

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yummy! I just baked the brownies you recently featured here. We're going to enjoy them tonight! :) T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. So guess what, I'm moving to your street! I wish :) You're the nicest neighbor ever--these look delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. mmm...love that you added the toffee bits! sweet idea for the neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum! These look and sound heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I totally relate to wanting to make sweet treats but don't want having them in the house. These look absolutely delicious. I love all types of nuts, chocolate, and toffee. Perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look so good! I love cashews, toffee and chocolate, separate or together! I have pinned this page so I can make these for my Winter Solstice party. I used to bake and give away all but a couple of cookies to the neighbours too. Now that I have to be gluten free I don't do much baking anymore.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're adorable, you can be my neighbor! (Don't mind the dogs!)
    -Ash
    www.stylizedwannabe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. we're technically neighbors, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thats it Nora! I am coming to your door for Halloween!
    ( I wish! )
    That looks great, i envy your neighboring children and the sneaky moms who might take a few when the littles are sleeping!
    xx, Elle
    http://mydailycostume.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. this is my kind of snack or candy especially if those cashews are also salted under the chocolate.

    ReplyDelete