Monday, September 22, 2014

inspiration monday: hard lessons

the inspiration
Victoria Justice
megan bird



tee, jeans, sunglasses ~ thrifted
shoes ~ garage sale
sweater ~ Marshalls

nora bird



sweater ~ thrifted
tee ~ Urban Outfitters
jeans ~ Levi's
booties ~ The Closet Trading Co.

This weekend we went camping. We have a regular campground that we like to go to...it's close, it's gorgeous, it has hiking paths, and a gorgeous waterfall. The falls are huge...there are probably three or four tiers, and every time we go camping there, we see people walking behind or across some of the bigger tiers of the waterfall. Chris once brought the kids to one of the tiers, and they started to venture into the water only to find that the current was way too strong, so they quickly turned back.

Unfortunately, another camper didn't have such good fate this weekend. As we were at the falls, we noticed a girl, maybe 20 at the oldest, seemingly stuck on the top tier of the falls. She was dangerously close to falling down the falls. And let me tell you, it was one of the taller tiers, with powerful water, and huge jagged rocks all down the falls. I can't imagine how terrified she was.

Her friends were trying to find branches long enough to reach out to her, with no luck. We all wanted to help, but for anyone else to venture out to where she was would have been unsafe. I finally said to Chris that I didn't want to stay any longer because I was afraid she would fall and I didn't want the kids to be traumatized by seeing that, because a fall would have meant likely death. So we began to walk away, and felt a bit of relief as we saw the ranger driving up the hiking path.

That relief didn't last long as about 30 minutes later, we saw a medivac flying over our campsite. I was so worried for this poor girl, thinking that she came here to have a fun weekend, and now who knows what happened to her because of one stupid move.

I wasn't able to stop thinking about her, and I finally flagged down a ranger and asked him if he knew what happened. Luckily for her, they were able to get her out of the water safely, and she was being treated for mild hypothermia. Still not a great thing, but considering the other scenarios, I was happy to hear she would be ok!

Did you have any adventures this weekend?
xoxo,
megan bird

20 comments:

  1. Wow! So very glad to hear she made it out. Sadly, here in Ohio, we have a few very rugged State and National Park areas where folks weren't as lucky. Love your renditions of this inspiration outfit. This was a fun one to style, wasn't it? :) Thanks for hosting this fab link up! T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is scary! What a miracle she survived! I can't even imagine... I love both of your looks--I always say this but, the shoes! Your shoes = always awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a scary story. In the wilderness, inexperienced people often get themselves into such messes. I'm glad this woman was okay.

    Confession: I want to say I visit here for your charming personalities but, in truth, I believe it's for the shoes. The two pairs of boots here are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah how scary! Happy to hear she is doing alright.

    And I agree with the above comment, the shoes really bring me here :)
    www.olivedoesthecity.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. You both look SO chic! Love this inspiration post... hope you both had an amazing weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a scary story! I am so glad to hear that besides the hypothermia that the girl was ok. Ugh, that whole thing just gives me chills.

    Great looks on you both, LOVE the boots!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Geez! What a scare! My goodness! On a happy note... love your outfits!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh gosh, poor girl! smart of you to jet out of there, and i'm happy (for our sake) that you got the final story out of the ranger - glad to know she's okay! ooooh, and your outfits -- so en pointe! looks like y'all went shopping with victoria :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG How terrifying!!!! That must have been so scary for you, her and the kids! I am so glad that she is alright!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You guys both look super cute!

    Oh my, I am so glad that she was okay! People always tend to go over the railings at these types of places, thinking they can handle it, and then bad things happen. I am so glad to hear that she was okay!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness! How scary! So glad to hear she was ok (other than the hypothermia).

    Nora. Those boots. Love.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh that is SO scary. I'm glad the outcome wasn't too bad!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad to hear they were able to save the girl. Should like we both had something somewhat scary happen this weekend. You guys nails this weeks outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my gosh? How scary and then to have the kids with you. Good thing she's safe.

    I love a good vintage-looking t-shirt and those boots, girls!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez!
    -Ash
    www.stylizedwannabe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh my gosh...how scary. there was a period not too long ago that hikers were making the news here - either getting hurt or getting lost. it's so dangerous when people stray off and venture on their own. great looks here!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nailed it ladies and I super adore the fringe boots. Oh how scary it was but glad she was ok.

    xo
    Sam
    http://fabulouspetite.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. You both look awesome. I swear I wouldn't have been able to stay and watch either, I was on the edge of my seat just reading about it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the cool look! I adore the sweater:)

    www.writingmonique.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Whew, terrifying! I am glad it all worked out for the young lady.
    In other news, you all look fab...the boot game is on point!! Ha ha!!

    ReplyDelete