Friday, September 12, 2014

Goodwill Hunting: Inspired by Chloe Sevigny

the inspiration
Chloe inspiration
Chloe Sevigny
Inspiration 1
Inspiration 2
Inspiration 3
Inspiration 4
My husband and kids know the way to my heart … through thrifting. One year, on our way back from a weekend up North, my husband mapped out all of the thrift stores on the way home and let me stop at every single one. It was then that I knew he was right for me (ok I knew long before that). He might sometimes not be so helpful with the laundry, but he sure knows how to plan a thrift excursion.
He has always told me that I am impossible to shop for, and maybe I am — at least for him. My sisters always know what to get me (clothes), and my friends know I’m all set with dinner and a night out. But my husband is always on the hunt for the perfect gift for me … and I think he may have finally found it.
Last Mother’s Day, he was upset because he couldn’t think of what to get me – or so he made me believe. He actually told me that he just might not get me anything because it was too difficult. After all, I’m not his mom, and the kids had made me something already. I was ok with that – really, I was.
And then the Saturday before Mother’s Day, we all hopped in the car under the guise of running errands. And what did my husband and kids have planned for me? Well, they took me first to get coffee, because I would need it for what came next. I got my extra-large dark roast, and then he drove us all to the St. Louis Park Goodwill. They threw me in a changing room, and the kids (and my husband; he was enjoying it too) kept throwing different items over the door. They all picked out what they thought I would love, and had me try it all on and model it for them. Sure, there were a lot of ruffles involved (from my seven year old daughter) and lots of sequins, too (from my nine year old son), but whoever said there was anything wrong with ruffles and sequins?
After the modeling session, I walked around the store on my own and found a few more treasures. But all in all, what they picked out for me was exactly what I would have picked myself — they know me so well. Well enough to know that a modeling makeover at Goodwill would be one of my favorite presents ever. And the kids didn’t complain the whole time we were there. Added bonus.
xo,
megan bird

This post was originally featured on the Goodwill blog. Check it out here!

22 comments:

  1. Aww, So sweet! What a great family you have. And I can't believe how close to Chloe's dress your inspiration is. That wrap top is flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i remember chloe from when she worked at sassy magazine!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look great, and what a loving gift from your family.... you all rock!

    ReplyDelete
  4. too sweet. Got love when are family does random thing like that. My husband does the same thing here and there. I hope you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A perfect match really suits you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awwww you got a very sweet husband who just knows what you want!!!!

    Rebecca
    www.redtagchiclosangeles.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This really would be the perfect gift for you :)
    www.olivedoesthecity.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is the perfect gift for you! That is more or less what I got for Mother's Day this year too - best day ever! Love this dress, so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw yay! A bonus indeed! My husband has gotten me Goodwill gift cards for gifts. He always says it seems lame to do that but I always assure him it is the perfect gift! How sweet of your husband!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE this outfit, very spot-on! I adore this post, it is so cute! I hope that Kyle reads this and takes a hint, hehehe :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a COOL present! Your husband sounds super!x
    The dress looks coooool too!x

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's awesome! I love gifts that involve an experience. They're the best. You're a lucky girl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. How sweet! They are all going to grow up to be celebrity stylists : )

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG that sounds like the most amazing thing ever haha! I finally got my boyfriend to start joining me on the thrifting trips and he loves it now too! He also knows it cheers me up, so when I'm sad or had a bad day, he's like hey let's go thrifting! I need to start checking out more stores on road trips and things too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is the sweetest, cutest gift ever. Just the thought of it...so awesome! Great family you have there :) And you look gorgeous too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is such an adorable story! Those really thoughtful gifts are always the best ones. Your husband sounds awesome I'm in awe that he mapped out a whole thrift excursion for you twice! that's awesome. I have yet to force my boyfriend into a thrift store, but he did go to the flea market with me so... progress?

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's such a sweet idea! What a perfect gift!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fantastic story and such a sweet idea. Your family is so lovely I come here for my regular dose of happy goosebumps.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. That BOW is the most adorable thing! You look so beautiful and cute! =)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh how sweet. My husband would just ask me sometimes to pick out the gift that I like since he always told me that I am hard to shop for, lol. Anyway you look amazing and that bow is so pretty. I have a similar one without the pearls.

    xo
    Sam
    http://fabulouspetite.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. A thrifting trip? Good Husband!
    -Ash
    www.stylizedwannabe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is so sweet! Love that your husband planned that and that your kiddos all pitched in to help you get some new looks!

    You look amazing ... your outfit is so close to the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete