Wednesday, September 3, 2014

bird.i.y.: lace and yarn wall art (why hello)


Tuesday came early this week, and I realized I hadn't done a DIY yet. I emailed my sisters asking for ideas, got one good one (dixie cup lights) and one sarcastic one (hand print turkey). Not feeling the patience for dixie cup lights (maybe soon), and not quite feeling in the mood for Thanksgiving quite yet, I racked my brain for yet another yarn DIY. Glitter tasseled projects filled my head, until I thought of all the glitter that would be all over my house, and then somehow, this idea popped into my head. As we had just cleaned out our storage room, I knew I already had lace and an old frame. And of course, for a non-knitter, I have a huge abundance of yarn.

And that's what you need, lace, a frame, yarn, and a hot glue gun.


I started by simply cutting the lace to be just a bit bigger than the frame. I hot glued the lace to the back of the frame like so.


I let that dry, and then started laying out the yarn how I wanted it (I had already decided I wanted it to say "why hello"). You'll notice that I started with blue yarn, but realized that it wouldn't show up very well, so I went to my yarn room (just kidding, I don't really have a yarn room) and grabbed some red.

From there, I placed hot glue in the form of the letters, and placed the yarn on top of the glue. I did this very slowly, maybe two inches at a time, and burned my fingers each time I fashioned the yarn on to the glue. Such is the life of a crafter, right?


I then let that dry, and placed the whole thing back into the frame. Easy peasy. Just like most of my DIYs.

But I still love it!


I put it in the living room for everyone to see when they walk in the house. Perhaps I need to make a "well goodbye" one as well!

Well, goodbye!
xo,
megan bird

21 comments:

  1. I love this! It's so pretty. You have great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The burned fingers from the glue gun. Ha ha. I have a few cuts on my hands from cutting fabric this past weekend. I guess you could say I was "doing it wrong." Oh well. Your project turned out really well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love this! Hmmmm, and I know just where it should go as well...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Idea! I love this... might have to use this in my son's room!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super cute! I love this one. I think I'd be a bit klutzy with the yarn myself, but I love how yours turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool! Lace with yard is a great contrast.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this idea! It would be so fun to try out different types of printed fabrics too! :)
    xo Hannah

    http://thebraidedbandit.blogspot.com
    http://thebraidedbandit.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's really cute, Megan! I think I prefer it to a handprint turkey. You made me laugh with the yarn room thing. I would definitely have one if I could. I love yarn as much as textiles I think. My cat loves yarn too and has her own ball of it for yarn bombing the living room.

    It would be cute to do a child's name in yarn on lace, for a little girl I suppose, to hang in a bedroom.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG this is so cute! I think this would make a very sweet gift too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it!!! So beautifully made! I bought myself a hot glue gun but I am still too scared to use it (I was TERRIFIED of the glue gun at school and wouldn't even go near it!)X

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a cool idea - I wish I was that creative!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You always have the best DIYs! This turned out so well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this, and it's totally do-able!! It would make me smile every time I passed it by! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. aw, that's super cute. you can do just about anything - words or designs with the yarn! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i love it (predictably!). i actually just ordered a silhouette machine, and i'm hoping to make all sorts of similar things with paper :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I adore this
    May have to copy it very soon
    Brett

    ReplyDelete