Friday, September 5, 2014

bird seed: quinoa salad with nectarines


I love quinoa. It is so healthy and delicious and can be used in so many ways. I made this salad for a little Labor Day cookout that we hosted on Monday. It was perfect alongside some veggie burgers and sweet corn on the cob. The recipe is super easy and turned out really yummy! It makes a great side dish and is even hearty enough to be served as a main course.

Ingredients:
Salad
~ 1 cup dry quinoa, rinsed (this will make about three cups cooked)
~ 2 cups water or broth (I used veggie broth)
~ 1 bell pepper, diced
~ 1/2 pint of grape tomatoes, diced
~ 1/2 bag of frozen corn, thawed
~ 1 can of black beans
~ 2 nectarines, diced
1 tsp grapeseed or olive oil 
Dressing 
~ 1/4 cup grapeseed or olive oil
~ 1/4 cup lemon juice (the juice of about 1/2 a lemon)
~ 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
~ 1 tsp red pepper flakes
~ 1 tsp garlic powder
~ salt and pepper

Instructions:
Heat the tsp of oil in a small pot. Once the oil is heated, toast the dry quinoa for a couple of minutes. Add your water or broth and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium low, and simmer for 15-20 minutes until all the liquid is absorbed. While the quinoa cooks, mix together the dressing ingredients. Once the quinoa is mostly cooled, combine all of the ingredients and drizzle with the dressing. Serve and enjoy!


Do you have a favorite quinoa recipe?

xoxo, nora bird

13 comments:

  1. i just eat it as is! looks like i need to step up my game!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM this looks so delicious and very nutritious! Have a fabulous weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just made a massive quinoa salad this week. Chickpeas, black beans, peppers, green onions, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, cucumbers, celery, feta cheese, pretty much everything in my kitchen. It turned out great. I added a bit of homemade pesto to the dressing. Yum!

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. now i'm thinking our next dinner night should be at *your* house :) ha, i'm kidding- would never make you cook for us- but your meals always look so, so good. which makes me wonder: where is your favorite TC restaurant?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, we love quinoa around here. I love that your recipe is sweet and savory - that's my favorite kind of eating!

    ReplyDelete
  6. sound and looks delicious. Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds really good! We haven't really tried much with quinoa but I'd like to try some! We even have some baby quinoa for Oliver!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love quinoa too. I always make sure I have a bag in my pantry! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds amazing! Kyle gets bored with salads, but this looks very hearty! MUST make this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooo love some quinoa! By the way, I need your veggie burger verdict from last night :)
    www.olivedoesthecity.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks for sharing this recipe. i love eating quinoa but avoid cooking it (i have a phobia of holey things, and the quinoa rings kinda give me the willies. i know, weird.).

    ReplyDelete
  12. we love Quinoa too and made some this evening. I make my quinoa in rice cooker makes easier for me because I am sure that I will burn the bottom. I will try with nectarine next time.

    xo
    Sam
    http://fabulouspetite.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Obsessed with healthy food! I eat chia seeds, flax seeds with muesli every morning! Love this recipe -- I'll definitely try to make this. Thanks for the post!

    Fashion, Travel and Life Lover,
    Jo

    { www.Styleat30.com }
    { https://www.facebook.com/StyleAt30 }

    ReplyDelete