Friday, September 26, 2014

bird seed: gluten free pumpkin bread


We are not a gluten free family by any means, but Jim has had a few issues of late and decided to give the gluten free thing a try to see if it helped at all. I have been trying to accommodate by changing up a few of our favorite recipes to make them gluten free. Mimi and I love baking together and we decided to try a gluten free pumpkin bread! It actually turned out pretty good, so I thought I would share the recipe!


 
Ingredients
2 cups of brown rice flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup pumpkin puree (I used canned)
1/2 cup raw honey
2 eggs
Instructions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Lightly grease one bread pan.
Combine all dry ingredients in one bowl.
In a separate bowl, combine the wet ingredients.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until combined.
Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake for 35 minutes.
Let bread cool in pan for about 5-10 minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool completely.

Last minute, we decided to make a traditional cream cheese frosting to top the bread with. Always a good choice, if you ask me!

This is a great fall recipe for anyone who is gluten free or just trying to eat a little less wheat. I think next time I might add a little bit of apple sauce to make it a bit more moist, but other than that, it was a hit!

Do you have any favorite gluten free recipes? I'd love to hear them!
Happy Friday!
xoxo, nora bird

16 comments:

  1. That looks delish! I love when you can make recipes GF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pumpkin bread. That so much for sharing this recipe. I have a whole bunch of friends who are gluten free. So I will for sure try this bread out doing the holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good! I've noticed that I'm a little intolerant to gluten when I eat it on an empty stomach, so I've been using GF bread and things for breakfast. I think I may have to try this recipe for breakfast sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious! I have a couple of friends who are trying to do gluten free, so I will have to pass this on to them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks good especially with the frosting. I'm so glad we don't have any food issues in our family. We originally thought that Jacob had a tree nut allergy when he was little. Long story short, but he either grew out of it or never had it in the first place, but thank goodness. He has a friend that has a severe peanut allergy and can't even be near any or he'll start wheezing. Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yum!!! i'm sure that smells so good too!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh you are always coming up with something awesome! My son's girlfriend is gluten intolerant. I'm gonna whip this up for her. And doesn't cream cheese frosting just make everything better?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks tasty. I'd like to try it!!! X

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the gluten free zucchini cookies I posted a few weeks back. But pumpkin? I'll eat that all day long. Definitely trying this for my GF girl!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this recipe, and the added frosting looks too amazing! Great recipe for those sensitive to gluten, and a great dessert to make for the odd dinner party..or anytime.
    Mimi is adorabe!
    XX , Elle
    http://mydailycostume.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks delicious! I have to eat gluten free and g/f baking is certainly a challenge. Rice flour tends to be quite dry too but often a flour blend works well and there are loads of recipes online for making your own flour blend and some can be bought too. Not sure if you have Robin Hood flour but they do a g/f blend. I eat gluten free and low carb but sometimes have a non-low carb treat so I will give your pumpkin loaf a try some time! I love pumpkin and cream cheese icing too! Oh and just a thought-I used to make a pumpkin and mini chocolate chip muffin for my son regularly so your family might like mini choc chips in this loaf too. Thanks for sharing the recipe and OH Mimi is such a cute pie!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh gosh, i went to a wedding last night that had pumpkin bread with cream cheese frosting at the dessert table, and it was so so good - i might have to make some myself <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. i just made pumpkin bread the other day, wish i had seen this before! a gluten free version sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i could just imagine how yummy this smells AND tastes!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a cute little kitchen helper :)
    The bread looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. looks so good! and such a cute little helper!

    ReplyDelete