Wednesday, September 10, 2014

bird seed: apple cinnamon bars


We got some apples in our CSA box last week that, according to my kids, weren't good eating apples. "Too sour!", they exclaimed. So, I decided to use them for baking. My first thought was apple crisp but I wanted to try something new and different, so I decided to attempt apple bars. This is a great recipe since apple season is almost upon us! They turned out really yummy so I thought I would share!

Ingredients:
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup apple sauce
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup apples, peeled and chopped
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease an 11x7 inch pan. Mix together flour, baking powder, and 1/4 tsp of cinnamon in a small bowl and set aside.
2. In a larger bowl, combine the melted butter, brown sugar, and 1/2 cup of white sugar until smooth. Stir in the apple sauce and vanilla. Blend in the flour mixture until combined and then add the apples and fold into the mixture. Spread everything evenly into the prepared pan. Mix together the remaining white sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over the bars.
3. Bake bars for 25 minutes. Cool in pan and then cut and serve.
4. Enjoy!



As you can see, these bars were a big hit! 

xoxo, nora bird

12 comments:

  1. These sound nom! I'm the only person at my house who likes apples so I'm gonna make and freeze some.
    .-Ash
    www.stylizedwannabe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum! I haven't made apple bars before, but they sound delicious! I love any and all apple recipes, so I'll have to give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. must have been granny smith apple. Which I'm not a fan of. Going have to give this recipe a try here soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love sour apples but my kids hate them. Why is that? Must be that sugar is in every food nowadays. This recipe looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh I really want to try this! I love baking with apples, and I have an apple cake that I often make. But I like that this is a little different.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy yum yum! I want to be eating this right now!

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  7. That last pic, OMG <3 Would this be good with gala apples? I bought a bunch of them, and I don't think that I will be able to eat them all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look delish!! I'm adding it to the list of things I'd like my 12 year old to bake me. She's getting better than me already! Thanks for the awesome recipe! xo Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmm... I've never cooked with apples and this sounds enticing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmmmm you got me at the word apple. I'd love these!! Craving one now... especially since it's that time of the month. I am sorry TMI. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now I know what I'll be doing with my sour apples. :)

    ReplyDelete