Tuesday, August 12, 2014

outfit of the day(bird): a bird in headlights




romper ~ TJ Maxx
shoes ~ Kohls
belt ~ thrifted
bracelets ~ from Eva and thrifted
necklace ~ Forever 21

We went camping with two other families last weekend. On Saturday, the dads decided to take all the kids to an open area to play baseball and the moms stayed at the campground to have a cocktail and make dinner. When dinner was ready, I grabbed Chris' bike and went to go alert the kids and men that it was time to eat.

I left without really thinking...without thinking that I was on Chris' bike, which is too big for me and has handle bars I can barely reach, and brakes that barely work. Without thinking that I was in a bikini and very loose cover-up dress. Without thinking that I have the worst sense of direction and I had no idea really where they were playing. Without thinking that I was in a huge forest, full of who knows what.

I circled the area (maybe more than once) hoping I would just luckily run into them. And eventually I did run into the area they had been at, but I guess they got to thinking on their own that dinner must be ready and left the area before I got there.

So I circled back again to the campsite, or at least where I thought the campsite was. And as I was cruising down a rather large hill, on a too big bike with bad brakes ( in a dress) I saw a deer about to run on to the road right in front of me. I hit the brakes as hard as I could, and we both just stopped and stared at each other for what felt like five minutes. I didn't dare move for fear of the deer running into me. The deer didn't dare move, probably for the same reason. I finally lost in the battle of wits, slowly turned the bike around, biked back up the hill, and circled my way until I heard the happy sound of my friends and family enjoying the dinner that I had gone to summon them for.
xo,
megan bird

16 comments:

  1. Ooh I had been thinking that story was going to end badly, but it sounds like a pretty memorable bike ride!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is totally me! gah! i got a B in camping in college. how does that even happen?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so bad with direction that I lose my car in car parks all the time, so im sure I would have been totally lost at your camp area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm happy that nothing bad happened and how wonderful that you had such a great weekend. I haven't been camping in years. Would love to do it some day. You look amazing. That cute romper looks on you like a dream.

    xoxo Ra

    http://ramona-strikeapose.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eep! Glad you made your way back! I'd have loved to have seen you cycling around in your suit though. :)

    Loving your sassy romper!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. I wish I could look half this cute in such a fun outfit. And love the poses.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally thought this was going someplace where you fell or something - I'm glad you didn't! I am thinking of Gilmore Girls though and Rory hitting a deer in the woods!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this romper! Such a cute piece!

    -Ashley
    http://lestylorouge.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Megan, you look beautiful! This is such an awesome look! OMG I love deer, but I would have probably freaked out too, those guys can go crazy when they are scared! I am glad that you made it out okay!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this whole outfit on you, especially the shoes! You always have the cutest shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds like something that would happen to me! Glad you made it back safe. Loving this romper!

    xo,
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  12. I could feel the suspense you must have felt! Big bikes and me don't mix so well, either... Lovely pics that LBD is TDF! :) T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. haha, i thought 'only in wisconsin' as i was reading this, and then i realize - you actually were in wisconsin, right? such a great story :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG Deer are so scary! We get deer all over my office and when I was a smoker we would "run into them" all the time. They never moved but I was always terrified!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the romper! It's so cute... I always find so many great things in TJ Maxx! :)
    xoxo

    Novelstyle

    ReplyDelete