Monday, August 11, 2014

inspiration monday: camping beauty tricks

the inspiration
Gwen Stefani
megan bird



jeans ~ Ross
shirt, shoes ~ thrifted
earrings ~ Forever 21
necklace ~ Kate Spade, Nordstrom

nora bird



 shirt ~ thrifted
jeans ~ Forever 21
shoes ~Target

Over the many years I have been a camper, I have learned some pretty good "beauty" secrets for long weekends of using a river as your bathtub. Campfires, salty food, and maybe one too many alcoholic beverages are not my face's best friend, so I have learned the following tricks over the years...

~ Coconut oil is a must-have when camping. It is a sunscreen, bug bite itch eraser, cooking oil, deodorant, body lotion, and night cream all wrapped up in one easy to pack and carry container. It's a must-have for camping.
~ Baby wipes are also on the must-have list. In a pinch, they wipe all the bug spray, sunscreen (or coconut oil), and hiking grime from your face. Added bonus, get the kind with aloe for some extra moisture after a long day outdoors.
~ A nice cool Gogurt from the cooler acts as the best de-puffer on your eyes in the morning. I discovered that one this weekend. I asked Chris and the kids for their opinions before and after, and they claim the results were amazing. I might just start trying this one at home every morning as well!

What are your best camping beauty secrets?

xoxo,
megan bird

For next week's picture, and to learn how to play along, click here.

22 comments:

  1. have to try coconut oil!
    my tip? if you have long hair like me - braids. very taut braids. you can sleep with and the hair get not tangled. over the day i usually pin them up. and a headscarf shelters not only from the sun/weather, but from the dirt too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit... I'm not a camper. My son and daughter-in-law camp frequently. I'll share this post with her as I know she's gonna love these tips! :) Aren't stripes fab? I think I'm stripe addicted these days. Wearing them well, Ladies! :) Thanks for hosting this fab link-up party! T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't been camping in year. I will so have to write these tips down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love using salt or sugar to make a scrub to get the grit off. you know i love a beauty hack!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have just bought a bottle of coconut oil, it is amazing stuff and has so many uses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are some great tips, I'll keep them in mind (especially the coconut oil!) even though camping and I aren't really friends :) You both look cute--of course I'm loving your stripes and your shoes...both pairs are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I hate camping - for real lol.

    I actually tried out a similar look to your picture and will link it sometime this week. You each put your spin to this. I love Nora's take. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Coconut oil is a miracle product, I agree!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You both look adorable, love striped red tops!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Coconut oil is pretty awesome!

    Love your looks - and Nora I really love your shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We used to camp A LOT when the boys were young.
    Have to say the words beauty and camping never even crossed my lips . LOL
    Brett

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just can't do camping. We went 2 years ago when visiting Michigan. Jacob had a horrible outer ear infection and was in so much pain. Also, there were a million mosquitoes and bugs flying around the tent. We got up at 4:00 am and went home. I loved camping when I was in college..... You can't go wrong with stripes and love the shoes!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh such great tips! Kyle gives me the side-eye whenever I buy baby wipes, lol. You both look super cute! I love that Nora even included the kid! You guys are making me want more stripes in my closet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice inspiration. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What great tips! I'd have never thought of coconut oil! I love the inspirations and your interpretations ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  16. never been camping and don't think i ever will.. not even in our backyard..
    cute outfits

    ReplyDelete
  17. lovely ladies! what a fun post and super darling looks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your post almost makes me wish I was a camper :)
    www.olivedoesthecity.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am not such a camper but this tips makes it easier for me to reconsider sleeping outdoors in a tent and not an RV. I will try to remember all this tips esp the gogurt since I suffer with puffy eyes all the time in the mornings. Both of you looks as good as Gwen. Love it!

    Xo
    Sam
    Http://fabulouspetite.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm not a camper, so I have no tips. But anything that does at least double duty is a must pack item while traveling for me.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fabulous photos and I adore the stripes!

    http://fashionistastyle1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. My friend gave me a jar of coconut oil, but I haven't gotten around to using it yet. I think I will have to give it a shot tonight!

    ReplyDelete