Wednesday, August 13, 2014

bird.i.y: succulent wreath


I love succulents. They are such fun little plants. They come in so many cool shapes and different sizes and they are relatively easy to care for. I didn't have nearly enough succulents in my life so I decided to change that this week. With a few different ideas floating around in my head but no definite plan for what to do with them, I went out and bought a ton of succulents. I knew that, if nothing else, we had a bunch of empty pots in the garage in which I could plant them. After making my purchase, I ended up on Pinterest looking for fun ways to display succulents and came upon a picture of a succulent wreath. Now you all know I love my wreath DIYs, so it was settled. A succulent wreath it would be!

What you'll need:
 ~ wreath frame (mine was 12")
~ Sphagnum moss
~ floral wire
~ succulents (or clippings, if you have larger succulents around your house!)

Instructions:
~ Remove your succulents from the pots and separate them. You may need to remove some of the leaves from the bottom of the plant so that the stem is long enough to plant into your wreath.
~ Place your Sphagnum moss into a bucket of water until it is completely wet (about 5 minutes).
 ~ Starting on the back, stuff the wreath tightly full of moss. Then, wrap the frame and moss with the floral wire to hold the moss in.
Next, turn the frame over. You will notice that the frame is still showing through the moss. You don't want that!
Add an extra layer of moss and then wrap once again with the floral wire.
Now it is time to start planting the succulents! Make a hole in the moss with a stick where you want to plant your succulent.
Now, simply plant your succulent in the hole. Continue to do this all the way around your wreath until it is full and looks the way you want. The succulents will continue to grow over time, so try not to over crowd the wreath! One quick note: if you want to be able to hang your wreath right away, you will want to secure your succulents with floral pins. I did not do this, so I will need leave my wreath laying flat and wait for my succulents to take root (about 6 months) before hanging. You will also want to spritz your wreath with water occasionally and make sure it gets a bit of sun and it should stay nice and healthy!

Here's the final product:

What do you think? I think I love it!

xoxo, nora bird

21 comments:

  1. love this!! i was just gonna ask if you could hang this! my grandmother is a huge succulents fan (i have a brown thumb) and i want her to make me one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it and it is unique. Never seen them like in a wreath before and a good idea. They are a lot of them at my local grocery store and I am thinking of making a terrarium. Thanks for sharing.

    xo
    Sam
    http://fabulouspetite.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is gorgeous. I am in love with the look of succulents

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I now need succulents in my life

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE this!!! what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cute is this? I love succulents, though I don't have any. I may need to change that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It turned out so great! And you know I love succulents, so this is perfect for me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is so unique! i love this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this idea!!! It looks so amazing!

    xo,
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it ... so creative and unique!

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! love it! i bet it will be really pretty when it's ready to be hung!

    [oomph.]
    $300 Sephora GIVEAWAY

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is so cool! I love the idea of a living wreath!
    -ash
    www.stylizedwannabe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it!! I am too lazy to do this - but am loving it all the same. I am in love with succelents, the worse you treat them the better they look!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the colors succulents give off. I have the need for more and more of those succulents. Great idea. After the dang chemo and the world turns for me, I shall shop and shop for succulents. lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. This might be a way for me to keep the succulents away from my cats!!

    ReplyDelete