Friday, August 22, 2014

bird seed: tomato pie


I am not a huge tomato fan except in the summertime when they are fresh from the garden. Because of this, I was very excited when I opened our CSA box to find a huge pile of fresh tomatoes! We also recieved basil and green onions this week, so I immediately knew I would attempt a tomato pie. If you're a fan of tomatoes and cheese, you will probably like tomato pie! It's a super simple summertime dish that is great as a side or even served as a main course alongside a light salad.

Ingredients:
~ Four tomatoes, sliced
~ 1/4 cup basil, chopped
~ 1/2 cup green onions, chopped
~ 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
~ 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
~ 3/4 cup garlic aioli (or just your favorite mayo)
~ salt and pepper
~ 9 inch deep dish pie crust (I used store-bought. Please don't tell my mother-in-law!)


Instructions:
~ Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
~ Place the sliced tomatoes on a paper towel or in a colander in your sink and salt generously. Let them sit for at least 10 minutes to release most of their juices.
~ Mix together the cheeses and aioli or mayo in a bowl. I use ailoi because I have a very strange aversion to plain old mayo. As in, I find it repulsive. But add some garlic and lemon juice and I am good to go! Aversion gone! I know, I am a crazy person. Set aside. (Both your thoughts about me and the aioli mixture.)
~ Once the tomatoes are ready, layer them on the bottom of your pie crust and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
~ Layer the green onions and basil on top of the tomatoes.
 ~ Spread the cheese mixture on top of the tomato/basil/onions.
~ Place the pie in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, until it begins to brown.
~ Remove from oven and let sit for about 20 minutes to set.
~ Serve and enjoy!




Have you ever tried tomato pie? What's your favorite tomato recipe?


xoxo, nora bird

18 comments:

  1. i'm not a huge tomato fan either (it gives me ulcers on my skin. yay), but put it on bruschetta, and i'm in!! my sister would be alllll over this pie! happy weekend, ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And now I know what I'm making for dinner tonight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! As soon as my tomatoes ripen, I am SO making this!! I am drooling over here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Total tomato jealousy over here :) I may need to stop at the farmers market tomorrow morning!!
    www.olivedoesthecity.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love anything tomato. I even like tomato paste out of the can (Yes, I'm weird). This recipe is right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never had tomato pie. I bet I would like it. Since I a tomato fan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This makes me hungry! I love tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Phwoar, I want some of that!x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nora,
    Fabulous looking pie, I would never set it, or you, aside!
    Love this inventive recipe..yum!
    xx, elle
    http://mydailycostume.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness! So yum! Wanna eat it now. But thanks for leaving the recipe so that I can make it on my own!

    ♘ www.sugarpopfashion.com ♘

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh this looks delicious!

    -Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never had tomato pie but this looks so delicious! I want to make it : )

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't think I like tomatoes enough to make this!

    7% Solution

    ReplyDelete
  14. looks like very tammy! totals are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  15. this looks delicious, and perfect for all the summer tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My mom makes the most awesome tomato pie. It is quite different than yours because it is Albanian style but it is delightful. Wish I knew how to make it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yours sounds yummy too. I love tomatoes on everything lol.

      Delete