Friday, August 8, 2014

bird seed: roasted figs with goat cheese and a honey balsamic drizzle


About eight years ago, Jim and I attended the wedding of two of our dearest friends. It was a small wedding set in the gorgeous backyard of an amazing New York City apartment. After the ceremony, the guests were invited into the apartment for hors d'oeuvres and drinks. The mothers of the bride and groom had made all of the food and it was an amazing spread. I fondly remember a simple and delicious fig and goat cheese dish. I may have eaten most of them and I may still bring them up almost every time we hang out with our friends. But, for some reason, I have never tried to recreate the dish. That is, until this week! The kids and I were at the co-op earlier in the week and Mimi talked me into buying figs because she liked how they looked and really wanted to try them. Since I always have goat cheese on hand, I decided now was the perfect time to try!

Ingredients:
Black Mission figs, halved (I used 11 figs)
1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
3-4 tablespoons honey
3 ounces goat cheese
Sea salt


Instructions:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. While the oven heats, melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the balsamic, honey, and some salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes.
Place the figs in a pie dish, cut side up. Watch out for grabby little hands!
Place about 1 tsp of goat cheese atop each fig half. Drizzle the syrup over the figs and roast in the oven for about 15 minutes.

Sprinkle with a bit more salt and serve!

Since I wasn't throwing or attending a fancy party of any sort, the kids and I just snacked on these all day. I will admit, these were not as good as the ones I ate that day at the wedding and I doubt any fig ever will be, but they were pretty dang tasty!

Do you like figs? Do you have a favorite fig recipe?

Have a great weekend!
xoxo, nora bird

17 comments:

  1. You know what I have never had fig before, how sad is that. I'm going to the fruit and vegetable store on the weekend to rectify this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks scrumptious! You know I'm going to have to pin this, to try later, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this recipe! This Ecuadorian restaurant near us has a similar recipe to this on their menu and we had it last Fall when I was still pregnant and I have wanted to make something like this because it is SOOOO good! Now I can!!! I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I only had figs once,but I really liked them! I will have to give this a shot, I am pretty sure I would like it since I already like everything else listed here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh yum! i love goat cheese so you definitely had me at goat cheese! and i have never tried fig! very intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are one of my fave fruit and go perfectly with goats cheese and honey drizzle. Love your pic of that sweet wee hand reaching in!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I stuff them with goat cheese, wrap in bacon or prosciutto and grill em! Sooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like my figs underripe and slightly green! These sound interesting though I am not a fan of savoury and sweet mixed. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. omg, this looks amazing
    i adore figs!!
    Brett

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmm this looks like my kind of food! I wish that food could be transported through computers so I could try some:)
    xo Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this combination and a must must try. The tiny chubby hands had me, it is the cutest thing ever. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    xo
    Sam
    http://fabulouspetite.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh gosh, this looks like the kind of thing i eat an embarrassingly large amount of at whole foods. so, so good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Figs are some of the most delicious fruits you can have in Albania. I will definitely try out this recipe. =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look amazing! I love the idea of using a honey balsamic sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  15. xoxo
    judy would be so proud!

    ReplyDelete