Thursday, July 17, 2014

outfit of the day(bird): deep thoughts on a thursday




sweater~ b. (a resale shop)
shorts~ Urban Outfitters
shoes~ Target
necklaces~ Etsy (gift from Megan) and b. (a resale shop)

Lokah samastah sukhino bhavantu. 
"May all living beings be happy and free, and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life contribute in some way to that happiness and to that freedom for all."

My friend, Becky, posted this Sanskrit mantra on her Facebook wall the other day and it completely resonated with me. I was overwhelmed with the feeling that this is exactly how I want to live. I want to be truly happy and I want to be free and I could do neither of these things if I am causing someone else's unhappiness or depriving someone else of their freedoms. I want my relationships to be mutually beneficial. I want to live in a world of positivity and love and kindness and peace. Hate dissolves in the company of love, so I am going to try and live with intention and grow my actions out of love and tenderness and humanity. She followed up the mantra with this question: "What if we all tried to out-kind each other?" I love this. I am so game. There is so much negativity and sadness and violence already in this world. Why try to compound it? It seems so simple, but, of course, I know it won't always be easy. Everyone has a bad day now and again. But I am going to do my best. Who's with me? Anyone else want to join in the out-kinding competition?

I hope you all have an awesome day.

xoxo, nora bird

19 comments:

  1. what an awesome sentiment!! sharing on twitter and fb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This mantra beautifully expresses the way the Great Scot and I are trying to live our lives; thanks so much for sharing!
    You could do something once a week (like your Monday posts) and let people link up their kindnessing stories; I'd be game!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! What a beautiful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a beautiful quote and an awesome outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your friend sounds like such a positive person! Such a wonderful message to pass on to others.

    The leopard and lace shorts are the cutest!!

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a great idea and a wonderful mantra. Love those silky shorts. They remind me of vintage lingerie.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terrific thoughts. We should combat the negativity in the world with kindness we generate. And we should also wear leopard-print shorts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! I totally want to play the out-kinding game. And I want those shorts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this so much!! I am totally on board with the out-kinding game!!! I think I know a few people who could use this mantra in their life in fact!

    LOVE those shorts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. those shorts are so cute!! and i love that quote!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm in!!! This makes my little hippie heart so happy! Lovely mantra indeed. And on a totally superficial note--your hair is amazing and this is one of my fave outfits on you eva-eva! Love and peace!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nora that is a great quote and I loved your follow-up post about it. I am all about being positive and living my own free life. Your outfit too is a great metaphor for what you wrote here. Those shorts are darling. You can pull off so many great styles, both you & Megan and that is why I love your styles.

    Have a great weekend, Ladies! <3 Ada.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I sometimes use that mantra just before or after meditation. It's a great one, isn't it? Love your outfit and what awesome legs you have! I love pairing a light sweater with cute little shorts but at the moment it's too hot to do that.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful quote, after what I have been seeing in the news this morning I wish everyone would follow this simple quote.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm totally, totally with you. I think the world would be an even more amazing place if we all tried to live by that rule. Oh, and the world also needs more cute leopard print shorts--love those! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those shorts are adorable!
    -Ash
    www.stylizedwannabe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mantra is very apt for me at the moment will try to follow it

    ReplyDelete
  18. Adorable outfit!
    And I lurv the mantra. I just have to figure out how to bring the kindness out when I am feeling down.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a cute outfit--love those shorts! I've heard this mantra before, and it is a fab one. Author Kimberly Wilson cites it often. :) T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete