Thursday, July 17, 2014

mama bird/bird seed: family traditions -- sushi sunday

I don't know why I love traditions so much. I think it's because the few we had in our family growing up stuck with me and are still some of my favorite childhood memories. I want to create the same kind of memories for my kids. 

I knew that as they got a bit older, I wanted to teach the kids how to cook. I loved watching my mom cook, and even if I didn't love everything she made when I was a kid, I love it all now, and she is by far the best cook that I know. I'd like for my kids to have the same appreciation for food as I did growing up. And in my eyes, part of that appreciation comes with knowing how to make it. I mixed this thought with my love for sushi, and we decided to make it a Sunday tradition. And so Sushi Sunday began.

Here's how we made our first round...

We went to United Noodle and bought everything we would need for probably the next 32 Sushi Sundays. Seriously, we have 30 pounds of sticky rice (not pictured). The basics for classic sushi that you will need are:

~ Nori
~ Sticky rice (plain white rice won't work)
~ Rice vinegar
~ Any vegetables of your choosing, sliced in long slices
~ Soy sauce
~ any protein you want (I used tofu and the kids and Chris used fake crab)
~ Sesame seeds
~ Sushi mats
~ saran wrap
~ Wasabi

Start with a dry Nori sheet. They tell you to soak them, but trust me on this, don't. They become a disgusting pile of mush if you do. We simply laid saran wrap over the sushi mat, the Nori over the saran wrap, and then brushed the Nori with a mixture of water and rice vinegar. This softens it up enough to roll them without cracking, but not enough to make them into Nori porridge (Norridge??).


The add enough rice to spread over 1/3 -- 1/2 of the Nori.


Hint: dip your fingers in the rice vinegar/water mixture so that the rice doesn't stick too much. The name sticky rice is not a lie.

Then add whatever veggies and protein on top of the rice to form a nice line. Try not to make it too thick, or it won't roll properly.


Start rolling the mat, pulling the saran wrap out as you go. You want to roll it very tight so it doesn't come apart when you cut it.



Looks appetizing, no?


Using a very sharp knife, slice the sushi roll into bite size pieces.


And enjoy!


The kids especially enjoyed them because they made them themselves. There's a great satisfaction in enjoying your own creations. They were so proud and so happy!


xo,
megan bird
 
We have also made Mexican sushi. Follow me on Instagram if you want to see what we make every Sunday!

19 comments:

  1. I wonder how that would hold up in the mail.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you make your own sushi. Now I wants some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sushi is my all time favorite food. I don't make it often... because no one else in my family likes it. They are missing out. :) This looks delish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love these photos of you cooking my favorite meal with your sweet kids. and as for traditions? they're one of my favorite things - they provide a link between the people and activities we cherish the most :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My brother makes home made sushi, but I will admit I have never been brave enough to try it
    You make it look so easy
    Maybe I'll get the courage soon
    Have a great weekend
    Brett

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so awesome! I tend to lose patience with my children and cooking... baking is a little better!! Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like so much fun and I love that your kids are involved and that they eat sushi! My son is more of a daring eater. My daughter is very, very picky. She is getting better and I have found if I involve her in the cooking, she'll at least try it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had no idea how to make sushi. I love the step by step instructions and that you are cooking with your kids! I can't wait until my daughter is a little older and I can bake and cook with her!

    ReplyDelete
  9. mmm...looks good! we make all the time, too! so easy and you can throw whatever in there, lol!

    [oomph.]
    $300 J.Crew GIVEAWAY

    ReplyDelete
  10. i loveeeee sushi. I tried to make it several times but it doesn't look like yours. Mine was not that pretty, lol. My son has the same kiddie chopsticks too. The kids are so cute.

    xo
    Sam
    http://fabulouspetite.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh, looks good. I've never fancied sushi but with tofu.....

    We used to have 'One world day' at my school each year and I learnt to make sushi there as I did the 'Japanese food' course! X

    ReplyDelete
  12. Totally impressed that you make your own sushi. Isn't it so much fresher and warmer than the overly refrigerated stuff you get in the shops? My kids can be picky eaters but they all love sushi -

    ReplyDelete
  13. This made me smile :D I love making my own sushi, but I never thought about how nice (and fun) it would be for kids to learn how to make it, too. It's so simple, delicious and healthy. ^_^ <3

    - Anna

    www.melodicthriftychic.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice! You are so adventurous! We don't have anything like that store here though :(
    -Ash
    www.stylizedwannabe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. i want babies that eat sushi! my hometown just opened their first sushi place this past weekend. it cracked me up that south GA is now learning about sushi.

    ReplyDelete
  16. YUM! I seriously need to learn to make sushi at home too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your kids are really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete