Wednesday, July 23, 2014

bird.i.y.: succulent window box planter

Nora and I go back and forth each week, joking about how easy our DIYs are. I like to think that at the very least, they provide some sort of inspiration, either in the form of, "oooh, I want to make that!" or, "oooh, if the birds can make that, so can I!" Having said that, please let me introduce the "how to plant a bunch of succulents in a window box" DIY. You're welcome.
I needed something to cover the ugly stones we use to hold down our patio unbrella. They are ugly, but without them, the umbrella is useless. I bought this old window box at an estate sale for $1, and previously had some cute potted flowers in it. There were two problems with that: 1. The flowers died, and 2. spiders made their way between the pots and spun what might be the most intricate web throughout the whole planter box. On a side note, I also housed a glass gnome in the box, and for a few days, I thought his foot was a dead toad. I meant to make this succulent planter a lot sooner, but I wouldn't go near the thing on account of the dead toad/gnome foot. Once Chris informed me that it was not, in fact, a dead toad, I got to work on the succulents.
Do I even need to type instructions? Probably not, but I will. What you will need is a window box, sand and dirt, and as many succulents as you want to squeeze in the box. Remember that succulents like to be crowded, so while I didn't buy a ton, you can always pack a few more in if you want.
Fill the bottom third of the planter with sand – this will act as good drainage for the succulents. They are a drought plant, so poor drainage will kill them pretty quickly, especially if you have been getting as much rain as we have lately! For the top two-thirds, I used a mixture of more sand and the dirt from the succulents (plus maybe a little more dirt from my yard). In total, I'd say the mixture of sand to dirt was 3 to 1.

Then simply add the succulents in a cute manner. I tried mine out a few ways before I decided on this arrangement.


I would like to add more, but I wanted to make sure they all lived before I spent more money. (Spoiler alert, they did!)

And here it is in all of it's DIY glory. Sure, it's easy, but I also kind of love it.




xo,
megan bird

21 comments:

  1. I love the idea of succulents but I don't think they would last one season here. This turned out super cute. Thank heavens there is no dead toad lurking about : )

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad it wasn't a dead toad, ack! The succulents look really pretty in your yard and I'm glad they all lived!

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! I love succulents! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are so cute! They're a great addition to your already adorable backyard!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! This is such a cute idea! I want to put actual planter boxes under the windows to our house, but it gets kinda shady. Succulents! Why didn't I think of that? I love your DIYs, they are always fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a cute way to reuse an old item.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This came out great! And what a useful tip about the sand.

    Allie of ALLIE NYC
    allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have always like succulents. I may need to try this after we move. We will have tons of patio space.

    ReplyDelete
  9. planted succulents for the first time this spring on the deck
    love them and they are one of the only survivors of the didn't get watered while we were on vacay syndrome
    Brett

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love succulents! And this is a great way to hide something you didn't love about your patio space.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Succulents are so pretty, but I was nervous they wouldn't last. I love how this turned out though so maybe I need to give them a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have no green space at my house, so a little window box would be just the ticket for some greenery.
    -Ash
    www.stylizedwannabe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful! I like the blue planter as contrast to the plants! I tried to do my own succulents and spent a fortune - I have about six pots and they never looked that good, so now I just get the gardener to plant them, they look much better

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your patio furniture is so cute! I want to hang out in your back yard!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. this made me giggle - i always post such easy food items that i just stopped providing the recipe - you can probably google and find better information than what i could provide :) hehe, but it *do* like this succulent box- perfect for hanging in an itsy bitsy apartment :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. How lovely!!!! This is a super idea!!!x

    ReplyDelete
  17. i seriously love succulents and want a little garden of my own!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Succulents are amazing... and easy DIY projects are the best!

    ReplyDelete