Wednesday, July 2, 2014

bird.i.y: quick and easy 4th of july wreath


On Friday, here in the states, we will be celebrating Independence Day. I have mentioned before that, in my house, we don't really decorate much for any holiday. Mostly because I am too lazy to haul everything out of storage, put everything up, and then take it all down again. But I love a good holiday wreath. I have one for most holidays and seasons. They are the perfect lazy person decor! And since we didn't have a 4th of July wreath yet, I decided to make one. I checked out Pinterest for some ideas and saw a few photos of some simple, yarn-wrapped wreaths. And, since I like simple DIYs, I went with it.

Here's what you'll need:
~ Foam wreath
~ Red, white, and blue yarn
~ Stars (I used pre-made felt stickers, but you could make your own from paper or fabric if you aren't as lazy as I.)
~ Wood letter (optional)
~ Acrylic paint pens (also optional)



I started by wrapping about 3/4 of the wreath is alternating red and white stripes, hot gluing along the way to keep everything in place. The final 1/4 I wrapped in navy blue yarn. I just eyeballed the sections so they were generally the same size, but you could definitely measure! Once the wreath was wrapped, I added the felt stars to the navy blue section. They were stickers, but I added some hot glue as well to make sure they stayed put.


I also decided to paint a wooden 'B' (my last initial) with red, white, and blue acrylic paint pens (I love those things!) and hot glue that on there, as well. I kind of don't love that added touch, but it's glued on there now and it's not coming off, so I'll just deal with it.


Then, I simply hung it on the front door, as one usually does with a wreath.


And there you have it! The easiest 4th of July wreath ever!

xoxo, nora bird

17 comments:

  1. I love, LOVE this idea! Did you know that you can use pool noodles to make wreaths? Cheaper, and depending on what size wreath you want, you can make more than one from a noodle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! It looks great and I bet you could do something similar for most holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! Super easy too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This came out so cute! Fun and festive!

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart

    ReplyDelete
  5. Any craft I can do with my hot glue gun - I am sold on! Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoy making wreathes like these :D Very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so cute! I will have to keep wreaths in mind, I should make one for Xmas and for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. SO CUTE! You made it look gorgeous! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm totally stealing this! I love making wreaths, especially for my MIL.
    -Ash
    www.stylizedwannabe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey beauty love ur new post .Keep posting .
    Regards from Bosnia ♥
    http://obsessionwithfashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a cool wreath! It's awesome to know that one can be made for any holiday. :-)

    Mo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have always wanted to make one of these - or one of the ones made out of corks. Yours turned out so cute, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is perfect! And, I could see using this concept for all seasons and holidays. It really is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How brilliant!!! I love it! X

    ReplyDelete
  15. OK that is a beautiful wreath and actually sounds pretty easy. I am pinning for sure. =)

    Happy 4th Ladies!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. such a fun wreath- definitely keeping this in mind for next year!

    ReplyDelete