Wednesday, July 30, 2014

bird.i.y: peppermint and honey daytime toner

Do you include toner in your skincare routine? I am a fairly recent convert. A few months ago, I decided it was time, and I began to research anti-aging skincare and products. I have started using rosewater as a toner on my face at night and I love it. It has many benefits, including anti-aging properties, and I love it for nighttime because it calms my skin and helps ease stress and anxiety. I recently decided to add toner to my daytime regimen, as well. I knew I wanted something natural and, preferably, something I could make myself. I did a bit of research and decided I'd really like to make something with peppermint essential oil. Peppermint oil is excellent at hydrating dull skin, improves oily skin conditions (so it's great for all skin types!), and can help prevent breakouts. I also find it cooling and awakening, so it's perfect for daytime. I made an extremely simple toner with peppermint oil, honey, apple cider vinegar, and water. That's it! Honey and apple cider vinegar also have amazing skin benefits. Honey exfoliates, improves circulation, and minimizes lines and wrinkles while apple cider vinegar softens skin, restores the skin's natural pH balance, and helps reduce redness. So, basically, three amazing, natural ingredients in one toner. And it is so easy to make. Yay!

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon honey (Use raw and local if you can! This is going on your skin, so you want high quality stuff.)
1 cup water + 1/3 cup warm water
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
5 drops peppermint essential oil

Instructions:
Start by mixing the honey with the warm water until it dissolves. Once it is dissolved, stir in the rest of the water, the vinegar, and the essential oil. That's it! Then just bottle it up. I used a couple old toner bottles I had lying around (reduce, reuse, recycle!). I just cleaned them out, took off the labels, and made my very own, super awesome and creative label.

I should probably go into the label designing business, am I right???

The toner should last for several months, stored in a cool, dark place. To use the toner, just apply daily to a clean, dry face with a cotton ball.
Just in case you needed a visual.


Here I am in all my makeup-free glory! Eek! I just recently started using this toner but, if anyone is interested, I will happily share a side-by-side comparison photo in a few weeks. Just let me know in the comments!

xoxo, nora bird

15 comments:

  1. Definitely interested, and I am so making this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMAZING! I have been using apple cider vinegar directly on any breakouts, and drinking it with water. I LOVE it, so I clearly need to try this out too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so beautiful makeup free! That is such a great idea to make your own toner!

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart

    ReplyDelete
  4. i've been using apple cider vinegar on my hair for a little over a month now and i plan on making a toner too out of it soon. i've been making a lot of natural facials and scrubs and i've been loving it! i only wish i did it sooner!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look beautiful without make-up. I use toner. I was on a long way to love this part of skin care routine. It was just finding the right one and now I can't imagine my routine without it. You have done such a great job, I would never thought that I can make my toner.

    xoxo Ra

    ramona-strikeapose.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to make this - my skin has been so unhappy lately and I want to use something natural on it! I think I need to head to the local co-op and get some of these ingredients and try this ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so cute! I use a plain APV & water toner that I made, I may have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been think of using a tones. I'm going to have to see if I can find the stuff to make this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. DIY diva! I haven't used toners in ages. The one I used from Avon used to dry me out so badly!
    -Ash
    www.stylizedwannabe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea,
    adding the toner and the recipe for it!
    I imagine your skin feels as fresh as it looks!
    xx, elle
    http://mydailycostume.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is perfect! I need to make this! Thanks for this!
    ~Sara

    ReplyDelete
  12. great idea, i will try it. You look the same to me with or without make up, still gorge!

    xo
    Sam
    http://fabulouspetite.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. If I can look as great as you in your makeup-free glory, I'm in! You are so naturally beautiful gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh interesting Nora. I love all of those ingredients. I use Burts Bees Vitamin E and Peppermint lip balm. All the others don't work for me. I think it is the peppermint that makes the difference so I am way interested in this recipe for my wrinkles and crinkles. It is so weird but above my hair line I have no wrinkles. But my face skin has wrinkles. Why aren't there further wrinkles up higher? That is so odd to me. Oh well. I'm getting this stuff all together asap. (hug)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Omg I had to stare at this...no makeup and a true beauty.

    ReplyDelete