Wednesday, July 16, 2014

bird.i.y: deodorizing kitchen and bathroom cleaner

Recently, I have been really interested in essential oils and their many uses and benefits. Essential oils are natural and safe and have been used for hundreds of years for medicinal and cosmetic purposes. I have been reading this book, and it is a really excellent source for beginners to essential oils and aromatherapy. It is extremely informative, comprehensive, and easy to read. On the last few pages, there are tons of super easy recipes for all sorts of things, from aromatherapy, to cosmetics, to products for your home and garden. I have been wanting to make my own cleaners and detergents for my home, so I started with a super easy recipe for a deodorizing kitchen and bathroom cleaner. It uses lavender, lemon, and tea tree oils, which are all antibacterial and will keep your kitchen and bathroom clean, sanitary, and smelling great!

Ingredients:
5 drops lavender oil
5 drops lemon oil
5 drops tea tree oil
1/4 ounce liquid castile soap
18 ounces distilled water


Simply blend the oils and combine them with the soap. Use a funnel to pour the mixture into a 22 oz spray bottle. Add water and swirl to blend. Use the mixture to clean your sinks and toilets. Like this:


See how happy I am? And Jim only looked at me like I was a little bit crazy when I asked him to take a photo of me cleaning the bathroom. What a guy!

Honestly, though, this is a great cleaner without all the harsh chemicals of some store bought brands. Plus, it spells great! I will definitely be experimenting more with essential oils and trying many more of the recipes in the book and I will be sure to share the good ones here!

xoxo, nora bird

17 comments:

  1. I'm definitely going to have to try this......and maybe get a photo like this done as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've made something similar and it works! excellent share

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely like cleaning with products that don't have harsh chemicals! I will have to look into this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh interesting! My bf always complains about the smell of my DIY concoctions for cleaning (they usually contain vinegar, that's why). I should try this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in - I love using products without chemicals. I usually use vinegar, so this would be a much better smelling option, I'm sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been really curious about essential oils lately too - I love good smelling things and I dislike harsh chemicals, even more so now that we have Oliver, so I might have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a great alternative to cleaning products out there. got my interest perked! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great to make your own. So how well does it clean? I'd like to try it! X

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love essential oils and use them in my home and on my body. I do not look nearly as cute nor as happy as you do when cleaning the bathroom but we can't all be Norah! I make an all purpose cleaning spray of water and vinegar with a few drops of oil such as grapefruit, lavender or bergamot. I use amber, patchouli and rose on my self-no vinegar.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to try it! thanks! tammy ...and you look adorable even cleaning your sink.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha ha! Love the picture of you cleaning. If only we really felt that way cleaning a bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so grateful that you posted this, it is a great alternative to price organic cleaners, and seems like it will smell better, too.
    I am trying to avoid chemicals as much as possible, so thanks!
    xx, Elle
    http://mydailycostume.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. haha! funny pic. i went kinda nuts researching safer cleaning alternatives when i had my kids...great idea...never knew you could use essential oils in this way!

    [oomph.]
    $300 J.Crew GIVEAWAY

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love essential oils! I find them to be so calming and relaxing. I must try this cleaner!

    www.sylvialovespink.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nora, this will make a lovely switch from my usual vinegar concoctions. I refuse to use harsh, polluting chemicals so am always on the lookout for alternatives.

    ReplyDelete