Friday, July 11, 2014

bird seed: cheesy scones with dill and chives


Every week there is something in our CSA box that makes me think, "Hmmmm. What ever will I make with this?" This week that something was...

...dill!
I know there are plenty of things to make with dill. Last weekend I made a creamy dill dip to serve with fresh veggies. I wanted to try something a bit different this week, so I went with a cheese scone with dill and chives.

Here's what you'll need:

~ 2 cups flour
~ 2 tsp dry mustard
~ 1 tsp baking powder
~ 1/2 tsp salt
~ 1/2 cup (one stick) unsalted butter, cold and cut into small pieces
~ 1 cup cheddar jack cheese
~ 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
~ 1/4 cup chives, chopped
~ 1/4 cup dill, chopped
~ 1/2 cup milk (I used 2%)

Instructions:
~ Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. 
~Combine the flour, mustard, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
~ Mix butter into the flour mixture. I find that using your fingers is best, but you could also use a fork.
~ Stir in the cheeses, dill, and chives.
~ Add the milk and knead until combined.
~ Place the dough on a floured cutting board and flatten into a disk, about an inch thick.
~ Cut dough into 8 triangles, much like you would cut a pizza.

~ Place scones onto a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, until golden.
~ Eat and enjoy!

These scones are absolutely delicious straight out of the oven!


I still have a ton of dill left to use! Do you have any favorite dill recipes?

xoxo, nora bird

23 comments:

  1. Oh yeah, I am SO making these! Yummy in mah tummy!

    Baby lima beans, diced cucumber, vegetable stock, green onions, sausage crumbles and lots of dill! It makes a wonderful soup, warm or cold... and if you like you can add a bit of cream or milk and run it through your processor. Any way you make it, it's delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a big fan of dill, but I can see switching that out for another herb and loving these. I often make mine with hot pepper flakes and cheese since we like things spicy. These look so yummy!

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look delicious! And a great use for all that dill!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't use dill but you made these scones look yummy. :-)

    Mo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that just made me incredibly hungry, cheese in a scone? UM YES!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, my that sounds and looks so gorgeous. Love dill. In Latvia, where I originally come from, dill is number 1 herb. I love it and if I can get it here in Ireland i definitely take it and put where ever I can. Especially I love it with fish. Well I love it with everything :)

    xoxo Ra

    http://ramona-strikeapose.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I rarely use dill, so when it comes in my CSA I'm always looking for a reason to use it. Totally stealing this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUM! I love cucumber salad with creamy dressing and dill.

    ReplyDelete
  9. yum!!! those look delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh yum! These sound really good, I love scones, I haven't had a savory type scone before! We haven't gotten dill in our CSA but if we do, we're trying these!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks and sounds amazing. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love potato salad for my dill! I had so much leftover on the 4th, wish I had this recipe then! Looks so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  13. a close friend just graduated from culinary school, and she came over last week to teach me how to make scones -- we made chocolate chip scones, but this looks awesome for a summer afternoon or bbq :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look mighty fine!!!!! X

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dill Cheese Scones. Oh yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow these look delicious!
    http://saltskinned.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lately I've been on a scone kick, but always with the fruit. I would love to try a savory scone!
    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh my this looks so relish. Yummy, yummy. Thanks for the recipe. I don't use much of dill but dips.

    xo
    Sam
    http://fabulouspetite.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I will have to try these they look delicious, thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Now that looks delicious! I love dill. Cheese and scones are a favorite, so this is a winner! I wish they could magically appear through my inbox. :)
    xx, elle
    http://mydailycostume.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mmm! I think these might be really good with brocolli cheddar soup!
    -Ash
    www.stylizedwannabe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete