Friday, July 25, 2014

bird seed: basil walnut pesto


I love pesto. Luckily for me, we got a ton of basil in our CSA box last week and I used most of it to make a big batch of pesto. Traditionally, pesto is made with pine nuts, but I almost never have those on hand. My favorite alternative is to use walnuts, which I always keep stocked in the pantry.

Ingredients:
2 cups fresh basil leaves
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 cup parmesan
1/3 cup walnuts
salt and pepper to taste
2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil

Note:
I used my Vitamix blender to make this, but a food processor with a steel blade would work just as well.

Instructions:
Place the walnuts and garlic in the blender or food processor and process until coarsely chopped. Add in the basil, salt, and pepper and blend until you have a paste-like mixture. While the blender or processor is still running, slowly add in the olive oil. Once the pesto is thoroughly blended, add the parmesan and process for about one more minute. Use immediately or store in an airtight container in the fridge for about one week.


This made enough pesto for a few meals. I made a pasta, of course, with some sauteed summer squash, tomatoes, and cannellini beans and a few heaping tablespoons of the pesto. The next morning, I made scrambled eggs with a big dollop of pesto and some goat cheese (my personal favorite). For lunch one day, I mixed up the pesto with a bit of mayo and made a delicious sandwich spread. There are so many options and this is such a simple recipe, perfect for any summertime meal! I hope you enjoy!

xoxo, nora bird

12 comments:

  1. I often use walnuts in place of pinenuts. Also pinenuts are so darn expensive.

    I agree pesto is great to have on hand. An instant flavouring agent.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO yummy! Such a good idea to substitute the walnuts!

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh this sounds yummy! Walnuts in place of pine nuts is a great idea. Love pine nuts but they are so spendy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM! This sounds absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yum! I love, love pesto but I'm the only one in the family that eats it. Do you ever freeze it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. i've never made pesto before, but i love to eat it. will put this on my list to try :)

    [oomph.]

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing this sounds so delicious!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love pesto, and this rendition seems easy to make and delish, I think the walnuts will add a great texture and crunch! Go, Nora!
    XX, Elle
    http://mydailycostume.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love anything with basil and pine-nuts. Thank you so very much for sharing this. =)))))

    ReplyDelete