Thursday, June 5, 2014

Goodwill Hunting: Inspired by Vanessa Hudgens



the inspiration

my Goodwill take








My husband and I are constantly trying to come up with new and effective ways to teach our kids lessons. They are pretty great kids, but...they are kids, so they aren't always perfect (I know, shocking). Our son, Henry, is nine years old, and he is starting to get a little sassy. I tell myself all the time that it is just him trying to exert a little independence, but that doesn't always make it easier on me.

The other day, he was smarting off to me, and in the heat of the moment, I told him that his punishment was that he would have to pick a celebrity inspiration outfit and come to Goodwill with me to find all the elements to recreate it. Shopping might be his least favorite activity, so I was pretty proud of myself for coming up with the idea.

But, to my surprise, and quite possibly his too, he threw himself into the task full force ~ and had a great time doing it. He scoured the internet for pictures of celebrities (I will admit that I had veto power. After all, I didn't really want to wear Katy Perry's cupcake outfit.) and when it came time to shop at Goodwill, he took the task very seriously. He picked out a number of pieces, and even gave me a thumbs up or down for each piece that I tried on. He hunted the purse racks, and even had a good time searching for shoes. In the end, I was very happy with his choices, and his "punishment" turned into a great mother-son bonding day. Plus, I got a great outfit out of the deal...every single piece from Goodwill.

It was a win-win-win day.
xo,
megan
 
This post was originally posted on the Goodwill blog, Check it out here!

19 comments:

  1. You probably taught him one of the best lessons ever; it's all about the love. Btw, can I borrow him for shopping? He did a GREAT job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow wow love it , love it , love it ,,,,,,
    Am ur #1 fan from now on cause this ootd is FAB

    NANY
    http://artofnanyslife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love the outfit and the story behind it. i admittedly never got sassy (i got THE LOOK and that was all i needed) but my cousin had to write an essay every time she was in trouble. torture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your son did an awesome job helping put this outfit together. I also love that you teach your kids lesson instead of yell at them. It drive me nuts when parents yell at the kids. I have a few friends that do it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that Henry got really into it and he definitely nailed the look! Maybe he has a career as a stylist in his future, haha :)

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart

    ReplyDelete
  6. So adorable and I love the scenery around you
    Have a great weekend
    Brett

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was a great lesson! I love the floppy hat and I want an all black one too. :-)

    Mo

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds like such a fun bonding time! He did a great job picking out the outfit! Does he want to go shopping with me? lol

    http://kacieskloset.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. First off, you look amazing! So classic and yet cute * fresh!

    Seriously, this is why this blog is one of my favorites. I don't know anyone who could come up with such an awesome "punishment" for their kid! You hit the nail on the head: in the end, you guys got some great bonding time :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this look! Your hat is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an amazing punishment idea! Good for you and Henry for turning it into a creative venture. I love what he came up with! You look great and nearly spot on with the inspiration! Way to go Henry!

    ReplyDelete
  12. hahaha...that is sooo cute! I'm happy it was a win win situation!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You look great and your son has a future as a stylist or personal shopper! I remember my son used to love shopping with me when he was five. He loved the clothes and watching me try them on and having a say in what looked good. That stage didn't last very long though-lol.
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm going to try this with my 12 year old. He would just love that, NOT! Seriously, this is so great and he did an amazing job. You look better than Vanessa1

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is hilarious! : )

    He did do a brilliant job. Maybe he will be a celebrity stylist.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's pretty awesome that it turned into such a fun day. And it looks like he DID do a great job - I love this on you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOw!!! Interesting punishment! But he did well x

    ReplyDelete
  18. That was a great punishment and loved that he took it so seriously! He did so good, you look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Megan, that is superb parenting, a fabulous outfit, and a great story! Sounds like you have a pretty great kid, and that he has a pretty awesome mom.
    xx, elle
    http://mydailycostume.com/

    ReplyDelete