Wednesday, June 11, 2014

bird.i.y.: all natural anti-aging serum


I know I talk about it a lot, but I love to make my own potions and lotions. I have a very odd tendency to find something I like, and then say, "I can make this myself." I do it with restaurant food, perfumes, lotions, and drinks. And similarly, when I see a beautiful item of clothing in an expensive catalog, I often thing, I can thrift something just like that with the right amount of patience and perseverance. I never buy anything full price, I make a lot of my own artwork for the house, and now, apparently, I make my own hair products and serums.
Yes, this means I have a linen closet full of oils and creams, but I don't mind. Because this way, I know what is going on my body, and to be honest, I think the stuff I make works just as great as the $100 per bottle products!
So I decided to make an anti-aging serum. I had a lot of the oils in my closet already, but I did need to buy a few new ones. In the long run, the price of my serum is pennies on the dollar to anything you will buy, even at Target!
Here's what you need to make your own (I buy my oils online from a place called Bulk Apothecary, they are very reasonable.)

~ 1 tablespoon Apricot Kernel oil
~ 1/2 tablespoon Rosehip Seed oil
~ 1 teaspoon Carrot oil
~ 8 drops Frankincense Essential oil
~ 8 drops Rose de Mer Essential oil
~ 4 drops Neroli Essential oil
~ 1 empty bottle (I recycled one I already owned)

Just mix together and carefully place into the clean bottle. And then apply under your night cream (or day, too). I apply this at night, but surprisingly, it's not greasy at all. I tried it during the day under my makeup, and it still worked wonders.
Here are the benefits of everything included:
~ Apricot oil helps skin maintain it's moisture balance, and has Vitamins A and E which help slow the signs of aging. It is also anti-inflammatory, and can sooth minor irritations.
~ Rosehip seed oil helps even out skin tone from UV damage, scarring, or just aging discoloration.
~ Carrot seed oil is rich in antioxidants and helps prevent skin damage. It even has a natural SPF (38-40), although I wouldn't count on it as a replacement for your daily SPF.
~ Frankincense oil tones and lifts skin and promotes regeneration of healthy cells.
~ Rose de Mer oil moisturizes dry skin and refines aging skin.
 ~ Neroli oil improves elasticity, stimulates new cell growth, softens wrinkles and scars, and helps relieve under eye circles.

So, having said all that, I will tell you what I don't love...the smell. I am not a fan of the smell of Frankincense, and I thought the Rose would counter that (and the Neroli), but it doesn't. But, I used this as a serum, and my night cream smells pretty great, so it was quickly covered. Chris, on the other hand, loved the smell, so it's all a matter of personal taste.

Also, immediately after I put it on my face, I flossed, and this serum doesn't taste great. Not at all. But that's an easy fix, just don't drink it.
All in all, I really love this stuff. This picture is just after my first application....and I will tell you that it's rare that I feel comfortable enough posting a picture of myself with no makeup on...but I am doing it now! Of course I put on my cutest nightie for the pic (but ignore the huge cut on my shoulder, maybe I'll tell you that story later)!

xo,
megan bird


21 comments:

  1. Number One, you're so cute! Number Two, love the Beatles poster! Number Three, I admire your DIY spirit. Too few of us have that attitude anymore in our disposable consumer culture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny, whilst I read this I was thinking 'oh boy, I bet that smells great!' and then remembered that I find frankincense a little strong. Hmmm, wonder about sage oil?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to make my own soap and bath products. It just became too much as I had heaps of ingredients all over the house at one point.

    You do look great though...it must work!

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so impressed with you right now! I love that you do this. I wish I could smell it. Maybe next time! And you look fab without makeup! -xo Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you make your own beauty products

    ReplyDelete
  6. Megan, you are so beautiful without makeup! Now that I'm in my 30s (ack!) I really need to start using some anti-aging stuff. I am really sensitive when it comes to smells though, so I'd definitely need to see if I liked the scent or else I probably wouldn't be able to tolerate it.

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart
    Necklace Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a great idea! Love the picture of you... so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was going to ask about the smell. I'm kind of sensitive to that. But if I can handle it the benefits would be worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds lovely to me! And you are beautiful, makeup or no makeup!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You do look glowing. I am super into DIY but with my sensitive skin I hesitate to make homemade skin care. I've done like, Banana and honey masks but that's it. Would it be irritation do you think?
    -Ash
    www.stylizedwannabe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG! When I run out of my Burt's Bees stuff, I SO need to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You had me at the title! And your skin looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. DIY anti-aging?! NICE! You look gorgeous ... but I usually hate any products that have smells, so I might not be able to do this :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love DIY projects as well :) Honestly, I never considered making my own face serum, but after seeing your post I will have to reconsider. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Way to go, you look gorgeous without makeup, lucky girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. My mum loves making all sorts of potions and lotions too! You'd get on well with her- she'd love to chat about ideas! This one sounds a great idea. I too dislike the smell of Frankincense- too strong but love rose!x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for sharing this! I am at a point where I am trying to be more aware of what i am putting on my face. I really appreciate you listed what benefits each of the oils have!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Megan bird,
    you are a wonder, truly! I love this recipe for a good face product, and agree it is so good to know the ingredients that you put on your skin, which will be absorbed into your bloodstream.
    Your skin looks great!
    XX, Elle
    http://mydailycostume.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am not overly fond of the smell of frankincense either! Aren't you quite the beauty compounder! I so agree with knowing what you're putting on your face. Looking forward to your results!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This sounds wonderful, I'm tempted to try it. I guess it would still work without Frankincense? I have to say I don't know the smell...
    How do you apply it? Just a few drops, rubbed in and that's it?

    ReplyDelete
  21. There are a number of creams that claim to be the best anti-aging skin creams. But users should not believe on the advertisements easily as all creams are not effective for everyone. So I must say first consult with dermatologist to avoid from any adverse reactions. For me Niacinamide cream is the perfect solution as it contains Vitamin B3 which help in reducing wrinkles and grey spots, thus glow skin.

    ReplyDelete