Wednesday, June 4, 2014

bird in flight: seattle (day one)


Over Memorial weekend, I traveled to Seattle to visit some old friends and enjoy a nice, long girl's weekend! It was a lot of fun and I thought I would share some photos and some of my favorite spots from the trip! This will be a very photo-heavy post! And all the photos were taken with my iPhone, so the quality is not the best. Consider yourselves warned!


This was actually my first time ever flying alone. I know, weird, right? In almost 35 years, I have always had a companion or more with which to fly! But I was all by my lonesome for this trip. No husband, no kids, no sisters, no friends. Just little old me. And I will admit, it was pretty nice! I was traveling to Seattle to visit some friends that I worked with for many years, many many years ago, at a bar/restaurant here in Minneapolis (Psycho Suzis' first location, for the locals). They have all since slowly trickled out to Seattle and this was my first time visiting them and my first time in the lovely city. Since we are all restaurant kids at heart, and two of them still work in the service industry, I knew we would be doing a lot of eating and drinking and a lot less of the normal touristy, sightseeing type stuff. And that was just fine with me! I am definitely a gal who loves to eat and drink! But I did insist on seeing a few of the more touristy sights.









My friend, Tracy, picked me up at the airport right around lunchtime and we headed to Plum Bistro on Capitol Hill. It is a delicious vegan restaurant and I would highly recommend it, even if you are a meat eater! We did a bit of vintage shopping on Capitol Hill before heading to Pike Place Market to wander around, take a super nerdy and super touristy photo, check out the gum wall (so gross), and get a quick drink at Lowell's (get the Market Mule. So good!). We sat on the rooftop patio and I snapped a few photos of the Ferris wheel and the shipyard. Then we went back to her house to relax and get settled and drink one of these:

So good. 

After a couple of hours of relaxation, we headed back out. We stopped at Bathtub Gin & Co., in Belltown, for a quick drink. It's a super tiny and really cool little speakeasy where you enter through a "secret" door in the alley. The bartender whipped us up some surprise drinks that were, not surprisingly, delicious!


 After that, we met Tracy's man, Lee, for a another quick drink (Are you counting? Stop counting! I was on vacation!) and gorgeous views of the water at The Edgewater Hotel before heading to dinner at Georgetown Liquor Company, another awesome vegetarian joint where another of our friends was working that night. If you go, get The Picard. It is a VEGAN FRENCH DIP!!! I wanted to lick my plate when I was done to make sure I got every last drop. So good.

After that, we were both exhausted and couldn't possibly eat or drink anything else, so we headed back to Tracy's to sleep! My first day and night in Seattle had been so much fun and I was so excited for the rest of the weekend!

So as not to overwhelm you with photos, I will share about the rest of my trip next week! I hope you enjoyed this little recap!

xoxo, nora bird

25 comments:

  1. Love these pictures! Seattle is so fabulous, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what amazing photos. I've never visited Seattle and you have me wanting to go. Glad you had fun. It's different to travel by yourself. I like it because you can do whatever you want without compromise and you focus on your surroundings instead of your companions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore Seattle. Continue to have more fun!

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you had such a fun trip! And no, definitely don't count when you are on vacation!
    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  5. i've not been to seattle in years!! like almost 20. the first time i ever flew i was alone. i think i've flown more alone than with ppl, come to think of it. i don't like flying, only because i get bored and restless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like such a fun trip! I have never flown by myself, so I don't think that's weird. Flying gives me major anxiety so I need someone else there to calm me down. :)

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seattle is on my list of places I really want to go - I can't believe I haven't crossed it off yet. And now I want to go even more, thanks to your fun pics. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nora, love photo overload. The more the better. That's how you can tell story. I'm not sure why bloggers usually shy to share lots of photos, I think they better recreate all atmosphere and story. As much fun is travel in with others, yet it's so exciting to travel alone. It looks and sounds like you had a bliss. Good food and nice drinks - just perfect.

    xoxo Ra

    http://www.ramona-strikeapose.blogspot.ie/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love visiting someone that already knows which restaurants to go to and the sights to see. Seattle is on my list of travel wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. these photos are gorgeous and that vegan dip sounds yum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Did I mention I lived there for four years? And ...since then too, I have traveled there. Seattle is a very unique city and I am glad you got to take that little trip and hang out and all with your friends and to see the great clubs and eat vegan no less. So happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never been to Seattle but it's on my list. You look like you had such a great time!

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow these photos really bring back memories. I lived there for about a decade and sometimes I really miss it. Though I must say I do not miss the 9 months of rain at all. That first photo looks like it is from Queen Anne I lived there for a while and loved to take walks...so nice. Miss that. Have fun on your trip!

    Allie of ALLIE NYC
    allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute photos!!! That looks like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Seattle is my absolute FAVORITE! So jealous, looks like an amazing time!

    ReplyDelete
  16. we went to seattle last june for my brother's college graduation and my husband and i just loved seattle. so many awesome things to do and see there

    ReplyDelete
  17. How awesome! My friends are all scattered but they live a driveable distance.
    -Ash
    www.stylizedwannabe.blogpsot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks like a great time, Nora! I hope you waved at me while there. I'm on Vancouver Island. I've been to Seattle a couple of times and really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ooooh how exciting it looks!!!! How great to.be able to visit old friends like that!!! The gum is grosd but artistic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Are YOU the vegan one by the way? X

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yep, you HAD to capture the gum glob. I love it! I wish I was with you on your trip! I need a vaca. :-) Can't wait to see the rest of the pics. ~Tammy

    http://wildruffle.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. So happy you had a nice girls weekend. That gum wall is nasty.

    ReplyDelete
  23. EW to the gum wall! Everything else (including you) is gorgeous and the food sounds DEEEElish!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have always wanted to go to Seattle... it looks like you had a great time! Maybe I will get there someday soon!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fab pics! I haven't been to Seattle, yet... But, it's on my "to do" list. :) T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete