Tuesday, May 20, 2014

outfit of the day(bird): pajama dress





dress, shoes ~ thrifted, Goodwill
necklace ~ Burlington
ring, watch ~ Charming Charlie's
earrings ~ Heartbreaker
I bought this dress at Goodwill last summer. It's originally from The Gap and I adore it. I adore it, but have never worn it. There are a few reasons for that. #1. It's huge on me. It's about 3 sizes too big, but I bought it anyway. #2. I am well aware that it looks vaguely reminiscent of a nightgown, but again I bought it anyway. #3. Every time I put it on, I hem and haw about how to wear it. It comes with a matching tie belt, but anyone who has big hips knows that belted pleats are not attractive or flattering. Having said that, curvy people also should know that wearing a long and loose muumuu isn't the most flattering look either. But, on Sunday evening, I decided to say screw it, and threw it on for a patio dinner with my family at a neighborhood restaurant. After all, what's better to wear when you're drinking sangria and eating vegan bratwurst and the oiliest fries and onion rings in the neighborhood?
I'm still not sure if I will keep this dress (I'll admit it looks better moving than standing still), but I'm glad I wore it. Because even if it's not the most flattering, I kind of still feel like a princess in it (hence the many spin moves).
xo,
megan bird

27 comments:

  1. I think it's beautiful!! And it looks super comfy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think it's super cute! i love dresses like these, but my biggest issue is the length. the length looks just right here, and i think a backyard get together is the perfect occasion for this dress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is absolutely charming! How about an asymmetrical metal belt?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is beautiful! And I love the fact that it's so forgiven ... def. the type of dress I'll wear when I'm about to indulge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a cute dress. I'm sure you will figure a way to wear it again. You could also turn it in to a top and a skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that looks so comfy and flowy! i like it

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks so comfy and pretty... love that you wore it out, super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like it. It has a feminine bohemian vibe. Something like this would have been common in the Seventies. While I acknowledge the negatives you cite, I'd still wear it on nice Summer days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally understand the appeal of that dress, it looks like it would be so awesome to wear!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks super comfy which is key for eating dinner :) Have you thought about belting it (with your own belt, not the one it came with)?

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart
    Bugsy's Box Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  11. it looks so comfy! and is really pretty. I saw keep it!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dresses like that are the best! I think it works, it's so flowy and I love the color!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your pajama dress is so flowy and pretty. Such pretty pastels and those pleats - oh My!!

    Let me know if I can include Nora's Pretty Floral Dress in my post, tomorrow. =) Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. what a fun dress
    i can just see you at the pool with a cocktail in your hand in this
    Brett

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think this dress looks great on you and SO COMFY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks stunning actually though I do totally get what you are saying. I would be the same way. I would love it and yet think it didn't flatter me and I know exactly what you mean about it looking better in motion. Some clothes do. Maybe it is the elegant equivalent to sweat pants. It is something I imagine you wearing on a warm summer night, sipping cocktails by the pool, just as Silvergirl said.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. I never in a million years would think that dress is 3 sizes too big. It looks vintage and I love the soft pink color. You are rocking it! And love the photography. It goes with the dress and looks ethereal. Randomly, I'm strangely craving onion rings now.....

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think this dress is awesome on you. I agree that it looks vintage and has a fabulous drinks on the lanai with Blanche sort of feel about it. Which is totally a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I for one LOVE it and also say NO NO NO to belting the pleats!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are totally working that dress!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Girl, that dress is fabulous! I am loving the flow and the pleating - gorge find!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, my you look amazing in that dress! Despite what you said about it, you look amazing. Your Sunday sounds like a bliss.

    xoxo Ra

    http://www.ramona-strikeapose.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
  23. Absolutely loving this dress on you!

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  24. ha ha I love it, because as I'm sure you've noticed I love nightgown dresses! they're comfy and i think quick stylish with the right accessories!

    ReplyDelete