Wednesday, May 14, 2014

bird.i.y.: ombre yarn wall hanging

I have forever loved macrame wall hangings and have forever (or for the last few months) wanted to make one of my own. Since I have no knowledge of how to macrame, and have about enough patience for crafts as Solange has for Jay-Z, I decided to make an easier version of a yarn wall hanging. And honestly, I love how mine turned out so much, I'm almost happy I don't know how to macrame.

Here's what you'll need.
yarn in similar colors, dark to light
a stick
scissors

Yep, that's all you need. Super easy!

To start, trim the stick to the length you need. I knew where I wanted to hang my art, so I measured, made a slight cut in the stick with the scissors and snapped the branch off where needed. I trimmed any loose edges to make it look neat. 

Then cut the yarn. I measured the way my mom used to measure yards of fabric, with the length of my arm from finger tip to my chin (that equaling about a yard, according to my mom) (I have never actually measured) (because I believe my mom). By these measurements, I cut about 20-25 two-yard lengths of each color yarn.

Start with the darkest color yarn. Fold each piece of yarn in half, loop the folded yarn around the stick and pull the loose ends through the loop and tighten. I don't know quite how to put that part into clear words, so see the picture below.

Ignore my dry, dry hands.

Continue to do this in the same color with the 20-25 pieces of cut yarn and then move on to the next darkest color.


Once you have finished all the colors, trim the ends in any shape you'd like. Then simply hang on the wall and enjoy!

Take a super close up picture...


Back up a bit...



Then take one more step back.


And scene.
xo,
megan bird



28 comments:

  1. A DIY even I could probably do!!! Love it! Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG this is so cute DIY. so simple too
    http://theknotstory.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. The ombre is so pretty in the shades of blue!

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cool! It goes so well in the room. I have so much leftover yarn. This would be an easy project to do with my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so cute!! You girls are so darn creative! I may be trying that one for myself for my little guys' room.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! You always come up with the best DIY's that I could totally do - just need to find the time to do them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a super idea! I'm needing more wall art and wanted something just a little different...

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love it! and i love those lanterns hanging too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. awww how cute. love it. and the room is so pretty nice.

    xo
    Sam
    http://fabulouspetite.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. you always have great DIY projects.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute and simple and cool! I love macrame but have no clue how to do it. This I could do. Thanks for sharing it! I"m just going to curl up there in that cosy corner with my book now.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your living your living room looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This whole room is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh BRAVO!!!! That is brilliantly super!!! And I love your day bed!x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this! It looks so simple! The coral color on the walls is great too.
    -Ash
    www.stylizedwannabe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this. Looks beautiful. That's wonderful if it's so simple.

    xoxo Ra

    http://ramona-strikeapose.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
  17. so cute and i love how you cute the bottom
    great addition to such a cute space
    Brett

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so beautiful! And easy enough, looks like I could actually do it haha Perfect space you found for it too!

    -Chelsea
    chelsandthecity.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. "Since I have no knowledge of how to macrame, and have about enough patience for crafts as Solange has for Jay-Z...." ah, this made me laugh out loud - mixing pop culture and household DIY like a pro :) love the craft-- maybe put it on craftgawker?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amazing DIY. It's so cool
    Kisses and have an awesome day
    Maggie D.
    The Indian Savage Diary

    ReplyDelete
  21. So pretty and simple!! It looks amazing against that wall color.


    ~Cheryl
    http://snaps-of-ginger.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cool DIY! You guys create nice DIY pieces for the home. :-)

    Mo

    ReplyDelete
  23. That is really cool. I love the colors of the entire room and how that is perfect in it. Shanks for the idea! ♥, Renae

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And ...I trust you know that is a Hudson Bay Blanket on that day bed, right? They are worth a pretty penny now days. My sis has my Grandma's. Keep your eye on it, ...just saying.

      Delete